How Big Do Shar Pei Dogs Get?
Is a Shar-Pei your ideal dog size?
Let’s find out
View Table of Contents
- How big is a full-grown Shar-Pei?
- Average Height and Weight by Age: What to Expect?
- Factors That Can Affect the Size of Shar-Pei
How big is a full-grown Shar-Pei?
On average, a fully grown Shar-Pei stands between 17-20 inches in height with a weight of 40-65 pounds.
Shar-Peis have massive folds of skin, little ears perched on top of a huge, strong skull with a short nose and purple tongue plus a thick round tail over their backs.
When Is A Shar Pei Fully Grown?
By 16 months of age, the average Shar-Pei will have reached full adult size.
Average Height and Weight by Age: What to Expect?
Factors That Can Affect the Size of Shar-Pei
- Genetics: How big or small a puppy will grow largely depends on the size of its parents.
- Health condition: Dogs with health issues as a result of diseases may be negatively affected in terms of size
- Diet/ Nutrition: Lack of proper or insufficient feeding negatively impacts the health and consequently size of a dog
At What Age Do Shar-Pei Stop Growing?
Shar-Pei dogs, According to vets and credible breeders, stop developing at around 14-18 months.
How to Measure Your Shar-Pei’s Height?
Follow these steps:
- Place your pet against a door frame or a wall.
- Find your Shar-Pei’s withers.
- Place your carpenter’s level straight across the withers and mark where it touches the wall.
- Using tape, measure the height from the ground to the marked part on the wall. That’s your pet’s height.
Is a Shar-Pei a large breed dog?
No. Shar-Pei’s are a medium-size dog breed
Is Shar-Pei a good family dog?
Yes, Shar-Pei’s are incredibly loyal and committed to their family. However, they are snobby, arrogant, and reserved in the sight of strangers.
Shar-Pei is a great companion, and being medium-sized dogs, you won’t have to worry as they won’t take much space.