27 Best Dry Dog Foods
Dry dog food is made from ground up meat, grains, legumes, fruit, vegetables and other ingredients. After the ingredients are mixed, it is shaped into pellets before it is cooked by a process called extrusion. Dry dog food is known as kibble, and to ensure it is balanced and complete, ensure it is certified by the Association of American Feed Control Officials. Dry dog food without AAFCO certification usually doesn’t meet the standards, containing synthetic minerals and vitamins.
The industry now provides a range of dog foods adapted to the needs of the different kinds of dogs and industrially prepared dog foods now contain all the necessary components in accurately prescribed proportions to ensure dogs live healthy lives.
Dog food formats include dry, canned, semi-moist, home cooked and raw. It is not the format but the content that makes one format of dog food more superior. For instance, dry food is not consistently superior to wet or vice versa. Similarly, each dog is unique, and age, health, breed and other aspects play roles in the choice of dog food. Dog food can affect the dog’s digestive system, cause allergies or weight gain, and affect a dog’s mood.
The best dry dog foods are listed below and include:
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry
- Royal Canin
- Orijen Dry Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Dry Kibble
Considering all dog food qualities and bag sizes, the average price for kibble is $2.19 per pound.Top quality dry dog foods contain all-natural ingredients without too much grain.
The best dry dog foods are listed below.
View Table of Contents
- Pupper Chicken Blend Dry Dog Food
- Dry Dog Food by Wag
- Pupper Beef Blend Dry Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Chicken And Rice Formula
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Formula Dog Dry Food
- CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food by Wellness
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
- Orijen Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog
- Jiminy’s Good Grub Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Lotus Grain-Free Duck Recipe Small Bites Dry Dog Food
- Earth Animal Wisdom Chicken Air-Dried Dog Food
- Jinx Salmon, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food
- True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
- True Meals Multi-Protein Adult Dry Dog Food
- Forza10 Legend New Zealand Lamb & Venison Dog Food
- Chicken Soup for the Soul Grain-Free Lamb & Pea Recipe
- True Acre Foods Grain-Free Chicken & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
- Halo Dog Food, Holistic Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe, Small Breed Dog
- The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters Dry Dog Food
- Lotus Oven Baked Grain Free Fish Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Health Extension 10 lb Grain-Free Chicken and Turkey Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Grain Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Dry Dog Food
- Orijen Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Health Extension Grain Free Dry Dog Food – Salmon Recipe
- What are the Facts You Should Know About the Best Dry Dog Foods?
- What are the Price Factors for the Best Dry Dog Foods?
- Do Dogs Like the Taste of Dry Food?
- Where Can You Buy the Best Dry Dog Foods?
- Why do Most Vets Recommend Dry Dog Food?
- What is the Nutritional Value of Dry Dog Food?
- What are the Best Freeze-Dried Dog Foods?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods to Mix with Wet Dog Food?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Puppies?
- What are the brands for the best dry dog foods?
- What are the Other Dog Food Types?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Dogs with Allergies?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for French Bulldogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Huskies?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Labradors?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Dachshunds?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Small Sized Dogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Medium-Sized Dogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Large Dogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Itchy Skin?
- What are the Best Chicken-Free Dry Dog Foods?
- What are the Best Grain-Free Dry Dog Foods?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Shih Tzu dogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods to Prevent Tear Stains?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods with Glucosamine?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods with Pumpkin?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Dogs with Pancreatitis?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Yorkies?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Dogs with Sensitive Stomachs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for Picky Eater Dogs?
- What are the Best Dry Dog Foods for German Shepherds?
Pupper dry dog food has been produced in Alberta, Canada from only regionally sourced ingredients for the past 30 years. The Pupper Chicken dry dog food recipes include chicken liver and gizzards, flax, brown rice, apples, sweet potato, krill, ginger, kelp, sea salt, vitamins such as vitamin C, A, and B6, mixed tocopherols and minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
Pupper dry dog food is an affordable option for those who want their dog to eat better without spending a fortune.
Wag dry dog food is a brand marketed by Amazon.com Inc. as its own brand since 2018. Wag offers a range of six dry dog food variants, each with at least 35% of a dog’s daily protein intake, like chicken, lamb, turkey, beef or salmon as primary protein sources. Other nutrients in Wag dry dog food include omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and probiotics.
Pupper dry dog food has been produced in Alberta, Canada from only regionally sourced ingredients for the past 30 years. The Pupper Beef Blend dry dog food recipes include beef, beef heart, and liver, flax, barley, beets, cranberries, parsley, kelp, sea salt, vitamins such as vitamin C, A, and B6, mixed tocopherols and minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
Pupper dry dog food is an affordable option for those who want their dog to eat better without spending a fortune.
Diamond Pet Food was established in Missouri in 1970. Diamond Naturals limits their meat-based ingredients to Lamb, Chicken, and Salmon, each with at least 25% protein, 17% fat and 48% carbs of a dog’s daily intake. Diamond Naturals dry dog food also contains flax, chia seeds, and chicory root, providing probiotics, amino acids and essential omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
Royal Canin was founded by veterinarian Jean Cathary in France in 1968. The Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Formula dry dog food recipe includes chicken by-product meal, brewer’s rice, brown rice, chicken fat, and beet pulp, vitamin C, essential omega-3 fatty acids, and chilated minerals. Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Formula dry dog food provides at least 28% protein, 16% fat, and 49% of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a product of Wellness Pet Food with its headquarters in Massachusetts, which was founded in 1997. The CORE grain-free dry dog food contains four protein sources, including turkey, turkey meal, chicken meal, and salmon oil. Other ingredients include flax, quinoa, tomato pomace and chicory root, omega fatty acids and other B vitamins. CORE grain-free dry dog food provides at least 35% proteins, 38% fat, and 27% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Wilderness High Protein Adult dry dog food is a product of Blue Buffalo, which was founded in 2002 and started marketing dry dog food in Wilton, Connecticut, in 2003. The Wilderness High Protein Adult dry dog food contains beef and fish meal as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include peas, tapioca, tomato pomace and chicory root, omega fatty acids and other B vitamins. Wilderness High Protein Adult dry dog food provides at least 26% proteins, 35% fat, and 38% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Orijen dry dog food is a product of Blue Buffalo, which was founded by Reinhard Muhlenfeld in 2002 and started marketing dry dog food in 1985 in Alberta, Canada and in Kentucky, USA by Champion Petfoods. Orijen dry dog food contains chicken, turkey, flounder, whole eggs, mackerel and organ meat as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include lentils, chicory root, pollock oil and various vitamins like vitamin A, B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, folic acid and vitamin B12), minerals such as iron, phosphorus, copper, magnesium and more. Orijen High Protein Adult dry dog food provides at least 28% proteins, 38% fat, and 24% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Hill’s has existed in some form since the 1930s and first adopted the Hill’s name in the 1940s. Hill’s operates major manufacturing and warehousing facilities in locations across the US. Hill’s Science dry dog food contains chicken as the primary protein source. Other ingredients include chicken meal, chicken fat, vitamin C, fiber, manganese, folate, and potassium and other minerals, and fatty acids. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food provides at least 21% proteins, 27% fat, and 52% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Life Protection Formula Adult dry dog food is a product of Blue Buffalo, which was founded in 2002 and started marketing dry dog food in Wilton, Connecticut, in 2003. Life Protection Formula Adult dry dog food contains chicken and chicken meal as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include chicken fat, peas, brown rice, tomato pomace and chicory root, along with nutrients like vitamins B6 and B12 and minerals selenium and zinc. is a fatigue fighter, and energy-boosting nutrients like riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, B6, B12, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Life Protection Formula Adult dry dog food provides at least 27% proteins, 16% fat, and 50% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Jiminy’s was founded in 2016, the company head office is in San Francisco Bay Area, West Coast, Western US. Jiminy’s Insect Protein Dog Food recipes are made in the USA and free of corn, wheat and soy. The sources of protein for the two Jiminy’s varieties are insect protein obtained from crickets or black soldier fly larvae. Other ingredients in Jiminy’s Good Grub Dog Food include Potato protein, sweet potato, canola oil, vitamins A, B, and C.
Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food is a product of Merrick Pet Care, which was founded in 1988 in Garth Merrick’s family kitchen in Hereford, Texas. However, Merrick Pet Care was bought by Nestle Purina Petcare in 2015.
Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food contains fresh caught salmon, salmon meal, and white fish meal as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include fresh fruits like apples and blueberries, and vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas. Nutrients in Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, chromium, copper, fluoride, molybdenum, manganese, and selenium. Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food provides at least 34% proteins, 34% fat, and 32% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Lotus Grain-Free Duck Recipe Small Bites dry dog food is a product of Lotus Pet Foods, founded by a Canadian family in 2003. This duck recipe contains duck and duck meal as the primary protein source. Other ingredients include peas, cassava flour, and potatoes. Nutrients in Lotus Grain-Free Duck Recipe Small Bites dry dog food include iron and amino acids. Lotus Grain-Free Duck Recipe provides at least 33.33% proteins, 13.33% fat, and 39.44% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Earth Animal Wisdom Chicken Air-Dried dog food is a product formulated by Dr. Bob and Susan Goldstein who founded the Earth Animal company after 40 years of practicing holistic veterinary medicine and nutrition. The manufacturing plant is in Pennsylvania. The Earth Animal Wisdom Chicken Air-Dried dog food contains chicken as the primary protein, along with oats, flax seed, sweet potatoes, and sunflower meal. The Wisdom chicken kibbles include wholesome sweet potatoes, carrots, blueberries, apples, beets, cranberries, and broccoli, all packed with naturally occurring antioxidants and phytonutrients to benefit the health of dogs. The Earth Animal Wisdom Chicken Air-Dried dog food provides at least 40% proteins, 24% fat, and 22% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Jinx Salmon, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato dry dog food is a product formulated by the Hollywood-based clean dog food startup Jinx Inc established in January 2020. This Jinx dry dog food product contains salmon and salmon meal as the primary protein sources, along with brown rice, oat groats, and poultry fat. Additional nutrients include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, chromium, copper, fluoride, molybdenum, manganese, and selenium. All packed with vitamins A, C and B with naturally occurring omega fatty acids, antioxidants and phytonutrients to benefit the health of dogs. The Jinx Salmon, Brown Rice and Sweet Potato dry dog food provides at least 30% proteins, 17% fat, and 45% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
TRUE ACRE FOODS is a trademark of Chewy, Inc. filed in July 2018. True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable dry dog food is a product manufacturer in California.
This True Acre dry dog food product recipe contains beef as the primary protein source, along with peas, pea starch, canola meal, and poultry by-product meal. Additional nutrients include B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 and minerals like zinc, phosphorous, niacin, riboflavin, selenium and choline. The True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable dry dog food provides at least 27% proteins, 15% fat, and 50% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
True Meals Multi-Protein dry dog food is a product of Tyson Pet Products in Iowa, which launched its first complete-and-balanced dog food portfolio, True Meals™ in July, 2021. The True Meals Multi-Protein Adult dry dog food chicken recipe is not suitable for puppies. This formula includes baked chicken as its primary protein source. Other ingredients include sweet potato, rice, barley, egg product and a variety of vegetables. With added vitamins C, D, A, E, multiple B vitamins and minerals like Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, and Manganese Sulfate. True Meals Multi-Protein Adult dry dog food provides at least 27% proteins, 15% fat, and 50% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Forza10 Legend New Zealand Lamb and Venison dry dog food is a product of Forza10, which was founded in Italy. In 1995, veterinarian Sergio Canello and holistic expert Gianandrea Guidetti established the company, manufacturing in Italy, using many products sourced in Iceland. The New Zealand lamb and venison formula includes lamb meal and venison meal, which are excellent sources of high-quality protein and essential amino acids, as protein sources. Other ingredients include potato, pea protein, Fava beans, and potato starch. With added vitamins C, E, A, multiple B vitamins and minerals like zinc and antioxidants. Forza10 Legend New Zealand Lamb and Venison dry dog food provides at least 33% proteins, 17% fat, and 42% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Chicken Soup for the Soul Grain-Free Lamb & Pea dry dog food is a product of the same company that produced the series of books of heart-warming true stories. The brand was started in 1993 by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen, and later it branched out into making pet foods as well. The company headquarters is in Cos Cob, Connecticut. The Chicken Soup for the Soul Grain-Free Lamb & Pea Recipe’s primary protein source is lamb, enhanced by lamb meal, both of which are rich in antioxidants and iron. Other ingredients include peas, lentils, Faba beans, and pea flour, vitamins C, E, A, multiple B vitamins and minerals like zinc. The Chicken Soup for the Soul Grain-Free Lamb & Pea dry dog food provides at least 30% proteins, 16% fat, and 42% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
TRUE ACRE FOODS is a trademark of Chewy, Inc. filed in July 2018. True Acre Foods Grain-Free Chicken & Vegetable dry dog food is a product manufacturer in California.
This True Acre dry dog food product recipe contains chicken as the primary protein source, along with peas, pea starch, canola meal, and poultry by-product meal. Additional nutrients include B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 and minerals like zinc, phosphorous, selenium and choline. The True Acre Foods Grain-Free Chicken & Vegetable dry dog food provides at least 27% proteins, 15% fat, and 50% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver dry dog food is a product of a longstanding pet food company based in Florida, and founded in 1986. This recipe contains whole chicken, chicken liver, and dried egg product as protein sources, along with peas, chicken fat, flax seed and more. Additional nutrients include B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 and minerals like zinc, phosphorus, selenium and choline. Halo Holistic Chicken and Chicken Liver dry dog food provides at least 24% proteins, 35% fat, and 41% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters dry dog food is a product of The Honest Kitchen, a brand founded in 2002. This manufacturing facility is in Illinois, but the brand itself is run from California. This recipe contains whole chicken as the primary protein source, along with brown rice, barley, oats, poultry fat and more. Chicken builds lean muscles in dogs and provides Omega 6 fatty acids that help sustain a shiny coat and healthy skin and chicken provides essential amino acids and glucosamine, which helps promote bone health. Additional nutrients include B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 and minerals like zinc, phosphorous, selenium and choline. The Honest Kitchen Grain-Free Chicken Whole Food Clusters dry dog food provides at least 30% proteins, 17% fat, and 46% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Lotus Oven Baked Grain Free Fish Recipe dry dog food is a product of Lotus Pet Foods, founded by a Canadian family in 2003. Lotus oven-baked dry dog foods are made in small batches in a family owned and operated Canadian bakery and a manufacturing facility in California. The Lotus Oven Baked Grain Free Fish Recipe contains sardines and herrings as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include potatoes, peas, and dry egg product. Nutrients in Lotus Oven Baked Grain Free Fish Recipe dry dog food include Omega-3s, vitamins D and B12, amino acids, calcium and beneficial minerals like niacin, iron, and phosphorus. Lotus Oven Baked Grain Free Fish Recipe dry dog food provides at least 23% proteins, 41% fat, and 35% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Health Extension Grain-Free Chicken and Turkey dry dog food is a product of a Long Island based long standing pet food company called Vet’s Choice, founded in the 1960s, and rebranded as Health Extension in 2015. This recipe contains deboned chicken, chicken meal, deboned turkey, and turkey meal as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include potatoes, peas, sweet potato, pumpkin and more. Additional nutrients include B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12 and minerals like zinc, phosphorus, niacin, riboflavin, selenium and choline. Health Extension Grain-Free Chicken and Turkey dry dog food provides at least 21% proteins, 35% fat, and 41% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Merrick Grain Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato dry dog food is a product of Merrick Pet Care, which was founded in 1988 in Garth Merrick’s family kitchen in Hereford, Texas. However, Merrick Pet Care was bought by Nestle Purina Petcare in 2015.
Merrick Grain Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato dry dog food contains raw beef, lamb meal, and salmon meal as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include potatoes, sweet potatoes, and peas. Nutrients in Merrick Grain Free Real Texas Beef & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food include Zinc, Iron, Selenium and Vitamins B12, B3 and B6. Merrick Grain Free Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe dry dog food provides at least 38% proteins, 15% fat, and 28% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Orijen Small Breed Grain-Free dry dog food is a product of Blue Buffalo, which was founded by Reinhard Muhlenfeld in 2002 and started marketing dry dog food in 1985 in Alberta, Canada and in Kentucky, USA by Champion Petfoods. Orijen dry dog food contains whole chicken and turkey meat, meal, organ meat and oil as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include herring, salmon and boneless walleye. and various vitamins like vitamin A, B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, folic acid and vitamin B12), minerals such as iron, phosphorus, copper, magnesium and more. Orijen High Protein Adult dry dog food provides at least 36% proteins, 41% fat, and 23% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
Health Extension Grain-Free Salmon dry dog food is a product of a Long Island based long standing pet food company called Vet’s Choice, founded in the 1960s, and rebranded as Health Extension in 2015. This recipe contains salmon and whitefish, deboned and meal, as primary protein sources. Other ingredients include potatoes, peas, sweet potato, pumpkin and more. Additional nutrients include Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins D and B12, amino acids, calcium and beneficial minerals like niacin, iron, and phosphorous. Health Extension Grain-Free Chicken and Turkey dry dog food provides at least 25% proteins, 15% fat, and 42% carbs of a dog’s daily nutrient intake.
What are the facts necessary to determine which brand of dry dog food is best? Factors that will matter include the dog’s age, health, allergies and breed. Doing a bit of research to identify reputable dog food companies is a good idea, and veterinarians might steer the dog owner in the right direction. With that in mind, other facts to consider are listed below:
- Finding a reputable dog food supplier is not easy, and although smaller companies might seem more special, they would probably not have the resources to employ animal nutritionists or any other veterinary professional to ensure their products meet the standards required for optimized canine health.
- Choose a brand that offers age-related dry dog food for puppies, adolescents, adults and senior dogs because the nutritional needs vary by life stage. Choosing a hypoallergenic brand is crucial for dogs with allergy issues.
- Explore the ingredient lists of various brands to find one without artificial flavors, colorings, and artificial chemicals like BHT, BHA, Ethoxyquin and others. Choose a brand that specifies using whole proteins like beef, chicken, lamb, turkey, fish and lamb. The ingredients are listed from most to least, so if the protein is not first on the list, it might be indicative of low quality. Furthermore, vegetables, fruit, healthy fats and whole grains are all valuable nutrients.
- Look for the statement of approval by The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
The best dry dog foods will always be more pricey than the lower grade brands. Higher priced dry dog foods are typically higher quality. However, consumers should still scrutinize the ingredients to ensure the added nutrition and taste justify the higher price. The nutrition-related price factors are listed below.
Proteins are typically the most expensive ingredient, and then some proteins cost more than others
- Lowest priced protein: Chicken
- Medium-priced protein: Turkey, Pork, and Beef
- Top-priced proteins: Duck, Salmon, and Seafood
- Ultra-expensive: Kangaroo, Bison, Emu, and Quail
Top quality ingredients
- More protein and less protein meal. It is true that proteins like meat, chicken and others have high water content, which is lost during the boiling process. Adding meat meal, or other protein meal to replace the lost nutrients is crucial. However, the meal should not exceed the whole protein amount. Also, the ingredient list must specify the meal source such as meat, chicken, fish or other meal instead of listing it as protein meal or poultry meal which leaves the consumer guessing the source of the meal.
- High-quality grains like oatmeal or whole brown rice are included rather than brewer’s rice or other low-quality carbs.
- Inclusion of antioxidant-providing vegetables and fruit, and even added cheese could significantly increase the cost of dry dog food.
Added high-quality supplements
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin for joint protection, hip dysplasia and osteoarthritis.
- Several probiotics for promotion of digestion and ease diarrhea, constipation or other gastrointestinal problems.
- Added Prebiotics, which provide food for the good bacteria in the dog’s gut.
- Omega-3 fatty acids for reducing inflammation obtained from high quality sources like salmon oil and fish oil.
- No unnecessary additives like artificial flavorings and colors often added to cheaper brands of dry dog food.
- What is the clean label on the dry dog food packages?
- The clean label on dry dog food packages is defined by the Institute for Food Technologists as a holistic way of manufacturing dry dog food with limited healthy and wholesome ingredients. The ingredients must be natural and items that consumers can recognize when they read the label on the dry dog food package.
- The clean label trend is consumer driven, which is necessary for dog owners who want to feed their dogs with the same care as the rest of their families. Consumers want to read the ingredients label, recognize the items and their health benefits and feel comfortable that the company behind the brand cares as much as they do about the healthfulness of their dogs.
Almost any brand of dry dog food is well received by dogs. Most dogs live healthy, happy lives on almost any dry dog food brand. Although many dogs prefer wet dog food, that doesn’t mean that dry food is not a healthy choice for dogs.
Based on studies, the average dog prefers pork and beef over chicken and lamb. They also like moist, warm food over cold, dry foods. These preferences likely come from what they ate growing up, and like humans, dogs like variety in the diets their owners work out for them.
Where to buy the best dry dog foods should not be a significant problem because there is an endless list of online and brick and mortar dog food retailers. The most appropriate choice of retailer would be the one that stocks the brands of dog food that meet the dietary needs of a consumer’s different dogs. One dog owner could have a senior dog living with arthritis or other age-related health problems and a puppy with allergy problems.
The top ten dog food suppliers and their head offices are listed below.
- Mars Petcare, Inc McLean, VA
- Nestlé Purina Petcare St. Louis, MO
- J.M. Smucker Orrville, OH
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition Topeka, KS
- Diamond Pet Foods Meta, MO
- Blue Buffalo Wilton, CT
- Spectrum Brands Middleton, WI
- WellPet Tewksbury, MA
- Merrick Pet Care Amarillo, TX
- Central Garden & Pet Walnut Creek, CA
- Amazon Amazon online
- Chewy store online
- PetSmart Phoenix, AZ and online
- Petco San Diego, CA and online
Regardless of whether dog owners want dry dog food, canned or toppers, there is no shortage of dog food suppliers.
Most vets recommend dry dog food for several reasons, the first being affordability. It is less likely to spoil if the dog is a slow eater and comes for a few bites at intervals. Although dry dog food is harder than wet dog food, kibble size is typically appropriate for the life stage or breed size it is meant for. Dry dog food treats are handy to carry in a pocket during training sessions and they benefit dental health. Storage of dry dog food is easier than wet food that needs refrigeration. Dog parents who are concerned about the lack of fluids can add a bit of water or broth to the kibble.
The nutritional value of dry dog food is on the product label, which could be confusing. Knowing which nutrients one would want to see on the labels could ease the process of choosing healthy dry dog food. The best dry dog food ingredients are listed below.
- Specific meat, poultry, fish as opposed to general terms like poultry or beef by-products. The cooking process to produce kibble reduces the nutritional value of the protein. Rendering the protein changes it into a dry meal which is the perfect way to replace the lost nutrients. However, the ingredients list must be specific in calling it chicken meal, turkey meal, salmon meal, etc.
- Good carbohydrates as opposed to highly over processed flours and mill runs. Healthy carbs include brown rice, oatmeal, or barley. In grain-free products, the carbs should be sweet potatoes or potatoes. Any corn and wheat derivatives cause illness and allergy risks, and are often added as cheap fillers.
- Whole vegetables and fruits like peas, spinach, carrots, greens, berries and apples are ingredients dog owners want to see on the best dry dog food labels.
- Fat sources must be specified as lamb fat, chicken fat, salmon oil, or sunflower oil, opposed to animal fat.
- Natural preservatives are crucial and a good idea is to check for an expiry date. One unpronounceable term to look for is Mixed Tocopherols which is the common natural preservative used in top quality dry dog food. Dry dog food without expiry dates is packed with synthetic preservatives and harmful chemicals.
- Premium vitamins a dog owner wants to see include Vitamin E from mixed tocopherols, vitamins A, D3, B12, B6, choline chloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, and folic acid.
- Chelated Minerals are minerals that have been chemically attached to proteins for easier absorption by the dog’s body. They include zinc amino acid, iron amino acid, copper amino acid, and manganese amino acid.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids obtained from the flax seed, specified fish or canola oil in the recipe.
- Salt, if there is salt added, it must be sea salt or iodized salt.
Statements like No outsourcing, Food used in this product is fit for human consumption, organic ingredients, free range poultry/meat sources, and local and fresh human grade ingredients are further indications of top quality dry dog food.
Freeze-dried dog foods are the preferred choice of many dog owners. Some nutritionists agree because high quality proteins like chicken, salmon, turkey, and other animal proteins often included in freeze dried foods deliver excellent nutrition. Protein is essential for the growth and maintenance of almost all the tissues in a dog’s body.
The four best freeze dried dog foods are listed below.
- TruDog Freeze-Dried Raw Superfood contains 100% USA born and raised cage-free turkeys and is available at $43.11 per 14-ounce bag.
- Buckley Liberty Freeze-Dried Dog Food can be used for a dog’s full meals or as a topper on dry dog food at $39.99 per 20-ounce bag.
- Instinct Freeze-Dried Raw Meals are the most affordable freeze dried dog food despite containing as much as three times the volume of meat in kibbles and other non-GMO produce. The price is $49.99 per 25-ounce bag.
- Heed Foods is a boutique dog food company that produces top quality highly digestible prebiotic kibble with the added bonus of several freeze-dried mix-ins to choose from to make a dog’s dinner extra special. $34.99 per 5-lb bag + Topper.
Mixing dry dog foods with wet dog foods can benefit dogs’ hydration levels. Like humans, dogs’ bodies contain 75% water. They need to drink lots of fluids to support the hydration of their bodies.
- Halo Holistic Dry Dog Foods can be mixed with any of the recipes of Halo 5 ½-ounce canned dog food with prices between $2.25 and $2.30 per can.
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Foods can be mixed with any of the recipes for 12.7-oz canned dog food or Merrick’s 16-oz pouches of bone broth.
Dog food manufacturers recommend replacing 25% of dogs’ daily dry food with good quality wet food. Below are some suggestions for combining the best dry dog foods with wet food.
The best dry dog foods for puppies are those that meet the unique nutritional needs of puppies. Puppies need more calories than adult dogs, and their food must have proper levels of essential nutrients like vitamins and minerals essential to boost the development of healthy immune systems, strong bones and more. The brands listed below are included in the list of best dry dog food for puppies.
- Wellness Complete Health Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Chicken and Brown Rice Dry Puppy Food
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain Free Dry Puppy Food
The prices of the best dry puppy foods range between $1.80 and $2 per pound.
Looking to save money on dog food does not mean settling for cheap bulking agents and fillers.
Good quality dry dog foods are available, and knowing which ingredients to look for will help.
Dried dog food is typically more affordable than wet food. The size, breed, age and health of the dog must be considered. The ingredients to look for on the label are listed below:
First three ingredients: The first three to five ingredients on the list are the primary nutrients. One of them should be the protein source specified, for example, deboned poultry instead of deboned chicken or turkey could be misleading.
Quality premium protein source: Dogs need a lot of protein for muscle growth and energy. Premium protein sources to look for include beef, chicken, lamb, salmon or turkey within the first three ingredients. Keep in mind that specific references to chicken, beef or another protein meal is a concentrated version of the protein, but the source of the meal must be specified.
Carb and fat content: Although fat and slow release carbs are crucial for a dog’s health, there should be only moderate amounts in the dog food recipe to avoid weight gain and obesity.
Vegetables and fruits: Balanced recipes contain at least three core macronutrients from fruits and vegetables.
Healthy supplements, minerals and vitamins: For joint and bone health, look for chondroitin glucosamine for joint strength, and fatty acids for a dog’s skin and coat health. For overall health, dogs need minerals and vitamins in their dry dog food.
No cheap fillers and bulking agents: The final choice of affordable dry dog fruit should not contain any empty calories in fillers and unnecessary bulking agents.
Stick to your brand: Most good quality dried dog food brands include at least one or two cost-effective or budget-friendly options without compromising their standards.
Three examples of budget dry dog foods under brands known for high quality are listed below.
- Diamond Naturals Adult Lamb Meal and Rice is one of several cost-effective recipes with lamb meal as the primary protein.
- Pacific Stream Taste of the Wild is one of 9 recipes from this brand. Salmon and ocean fish meal are the first two ingredients listed on the package.
- Dr. Tim’s Pursuit Active Dog dry puppy food is one of 8 recipes of this brand. The first three ingredients are chicken meal, brown rice and chicken fat.
The prices for good quality dry dog foods at budget prices range between about 0.93 per pound.to about $1.85 per pound.
It may not be as versatile as human food, but there are still plenty of options for dog food. In selecting a food for a dog, finding one that meets the needs of every aspect of its nutritional profile should be the top priority. There are five different dog food types as listed below.
- Dry dog food or Kibble: Top of the list for many dog owners because it is most affordable and lasts long without having to be refrigerated. Other benefits include the crunchiness of the kibble keeping dogs’ teeth healthy. Studying the ingredients label is essential before choosing a brand of kibble that has quality proteins as the primary ingredient.
- Canned dog food: Wet, canned dog food is favored by most dogs and their owners because it is available at almost all stores and has a long shelf life. However, it could be a costly choice. The water content of canned dog foods is high, reducing the amount of food and nutrition per tin. However, more and more people use wet dog food as toppers with nutritious kibble.
- Semi-Moist: This term is used for foods that are shaped like bacon strips, burgers, pork chops and other favorites of dogs. However, it is typically only the shape that links it to a healthy protein. These items are usually without any nutrients and packed with artificial flavors and colorings. Semi-moist dog foods can be given as occasional treats but it should never form a part of a dog’s diet.
- Home Cooked: Dog owners who want to have full control over the nutrients they feed their pups may choose to cook their dogs’ meals. This might be the ideal way to make sure a dog gets all the nutrients it needs. However, it is time consuming, and needs familiarity with canine nutrition because their needs differ from humans’ needs.
- Raw Food: Going all natural is not uncommon, and many families choose to change their lifestyles, including that of their dogs. Raw meat and bones are the primary proteins, along with organs included in the mix. Raw bones are natural calcium and phosphorus sources. Most dogs are perfectly able to digest raw food, but it is wise to discuss the change with a vet before switching to a raw diet.
The best dry dog food for dogs with allergies are those that are hypoallergenic. Food allergies can cause skin problems or gastrointestinal problems. Studies have shown the most allergies in dogs are caused by proteins like beef, dairy products, chicken eggs, chicken, soy, or lamb. However, some dogs show hypersensitivity to grains like wheat, rye, barley, oats, rice, amaranth, buckwheat, corn, millet, quinoa, and certain beans.
One of the following ways might mitigate any allergic reactions in dogs.
- Limited ingredients: Such formulations typically contain only a single protein source, along with carbs that are easy to digest. That allows a dog owner to determine the cause of allergic reactions by eliminating proteins, one by one.
- Grain-free recipes: For dogs with grain or gluten intolerance, grains in the dry dog food are replaced with potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, peas, or quinoa, which are rich in fibre to maintain healthy digestion.
Dog owners should note that hypoallergenic dry dog foods are moderately to significantly higher than other brands.
The best dry dog food for French Bulldogs are those that meet their unique nutritional needs. Understanding those needs can help owners to avert innate health problems, and ensure optimum health. Two of the best dry dog food options for French Bulldogs are listed below.
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Reduced Fat Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
The first three ingredients on this Core dry dog food’s ingredients list are animal proteins. The fat content is low, and it contains all the nutrients required by Frenchies.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Healthy Weight Adult Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
This option might be appropriate for Frenchies with allergy issues caused by high-protein diets. This Blue Buffalo product’s low protein and low fat content translate to high carbohydrate levels, which could cause weight gain.
The tendency of Frenchies to gain weight easily must be considered when choosing their kibble.
The best dry dog food for a Husky depends on the age of the dog. Husky puppies, adults and seniors all have different nutritional needs. Adult Huskies can thrive on just about any well-balanced dry dog food. However, Husky puppies are predisposed to develop Hip Dysplasia, a crippling, permanent disease that can be prevented by ensuring their food does not contain too much calcium while they are growing.
Below is a list of top quality dry dog food for each life stage of Huskies.
- Husky Puppy – Up to 12 Months:
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food is a unique recipe with chicken and chicken meal at the top of the ingredients list to meet all the nutritional needs of a puppy.
- Husky Adult – 12 months to 8 years:
ORIJEN High-Protein, Grain-Free, Premium Quality Meat Dry Dog Food has chicken, turkey, and herring as the primary proteins in the ingredient list. It has a high fat content, is rich in vegetables and fruits, and enough amino acids to ensure a healthy coat and skin. This Orijen dry dog food product is specifically formulated for active Huskies.
- Husky Senior – over 8 years:
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is a product with fish as the primary protein source. The first two ingredients are salmon and ocean fish meal. Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids will maintain the health of an older dog’s skin and coat. The recipe contains limited fat because older Huskies are less active, and vulnerable to overweight or obesity.
Senior Huskies need diets with fewer calories and more protein than the younger huskies. Therefore, the age of a husky plays a significant role in dry dog food choice.
The best dry dog food for Labradors must be high in top-quality proteins and fats from animal sources. There is no specific brand of dry dog food that is best for Labradors, but the best choice of dry dog food would be a brand that has specified meat as the first ingredient and with high levels of protein in their nutritional makeup.
Two top choices of dry dog food for Labradors are listed below.
- Wellness Core Original Formula: This dry dog food’s protein content is above average. Also, the proteins are specified as deboned turkey, and further enriched with chicken and turkey meal. Furthermore, this Core recipe has additional nutrient rich contents like chicken fat and chicken liver for active Labradors.
- Diamond Naturals Adult Beef and Rice Formula: Although low in protein, the first ingredient of this recipe is chicken, topped up with chicken fat and chicken meal. An advantage for Labradors is the lower calories when compared to the Core brand above. Diamond Naturals is packed with added vitamins and real fruit and veggies that provide antioxidants and omega-3 and 6 fatty acids. Furthermore, the formulation includes guaranteed glucosamine and chondroitin levels to protect the joints of active and senior Labradors.
Labs are known to have overweight issues, so choosing a dry dog food with high protein levels and low carbs is crucial.
Choosing the best dry dog food for Dachshunds needs special care and attention. Dachshund owners should consider the following when they choose the best dry dog food for their pups. Due to their long spines, Dachshunds are predisposed to intervertebral disk disease. They need controlled amounts of calories, protein, and fat.. The top best choices of dry dog food for Dachshunds are listed below.
- Royal Canin Dachshund Adult Breed Specific Dry
Being a reputable brand and breed specific make this Royal Canin dry dog food product an excellent choice for a dachshund’s health. It is tailored to what dachshunds really need; digestive health, bone and joint health, and other unique needs due to the delicate body types of the Dachshund breed.
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Small Breed Bites
This recipe for small breed dogs includes fiber blends to promote the digestion of little wieners, and the crunch of the kibbles will promote dental health. This dry dog food is free from artificial ingredients, preservatives, flavors and colorings. and it also contains no grain. The first ingredient is carbohydrates from sweet potato, and the protein, fish, is second on the ingredients list.
Dachshunds can be prone to spinal diseases, weight problems, joint problems, and constipation. It might be a good idea to invest in high quality food for a dachshund
The best dry dog foods for small breeds are formulated to provide balanced nutrition for doggies whose adult weights do not exceed 20 pounds. Small breeds tend to have higher metabolic rates than larger breeds. Thus, the best choice of dry foods for small breeds must be formulated to optimize their health. Two of the top choices are listed below.
- Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Recipe
Appalachian Valley Small Breed kibbles have fresh venison and lamb meal as primary protein.sources. It is a fully balanced recipe containing no grains and no artificial flavors, colors, or toxic chemical preservatives that can harm dogs.
- Merrick Classic Small Breed Dog Food
This Merrick Classic recipe for dry dog food for small breeds contains poultry as primary protein, listed as fresh chicken enhanced by chicken meal. Merrick Classic Small Breed is a solid grain-inclusive recipe with fiber-rich quinoa to help maintain the dog’s digestion.
Small breeds tend to have higher metabolic rates than larger breeds. Thus, the best choice of dry foods for small breeds must be formulated to optimize their health.
When choosing the best dry dog food for a medium-sized dog, its breed, age, and health will determine its nutritional requirements. The six basic nutrients are proteins, water, fats, minerals, carbohydrates, and vitamins. Two of the best dry dog foods suitable for most medium-sized dogs are listed below.
- Holistic Select Adult & Puppy Grain-Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food
This dry dog food recipe is suitable for both adult and puppies of medium-sized dog breeds. The primary protein sources at the top of the ingredient lists are salmon, sardines and anchovies. To prevent gastrointestinal problems in dogs, this recipe is grain-free. It contains all the necessary antioxidants, probiotics, and fiber.
- Merrick Classic Healthy Grains Real Beef + Brown Rice Recipe with Ancient Grains Adult Dry Dog Food
This dry food is ideal for medium-sized adult dogs. The first item on the ingredients list is deboned beef. Along with essential vitamins and minerals it is the formula of a complete and balanced diet that includes brown rice and grains like quinoa to aid in digestion. This Merrick Classic dry dog food is loaded with high omega fatty acid levels to help promote a healthy coat and skin while the glucosamine and chondroitin will maintain healthy hip and joint function. This will help dogs build healthy muscles.
The best dry dog food for medium-sized dogs must contain at least the essential nutrients in the dog’s regular diet to maintain overall health.
The best dry dog foods for large breed canines are different from the formulas for medium and small dogs. The nutritional demands of big dogs should meet the special needs to support their different body structures. The ingredients of all large breed dogs’ foods should include nutrition to promote healthy, strong joints, from puppyhood through maturity. One of the most common problems in large breed dogs is hip dysplasia, a skeletal problem where the hip joints don’t form properly. Glucosamine, chondroitin, and omega fatty acids will decrease joint inflammation and can help the dog’s body repair and strengthen tissues. Below are the top two dry dog food products for large breed dogs.
- Wellness Large Breed Complete Health Puppy Deboned Chicken, Brown Rice & Salmon Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food
Choosing the best food for a large breed puppy is one of the most important decisions ever. Choosing a brand with too much calcium could lead to hip disease and permanent bone damage in dogs.
Complete Health Large Breed Puppy food is a safe, balanced calcium recipe from a trusted brand. The main ingredients are animal protein from fresh chicken as well as chicken meal and salmon meal.
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Large Breed Chicken & Turkey Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food
Wellness Core Large Breed formula is a grain-free, high protein recipe with bigger kibble size to promote proper chewing time in the larger mouths of big dogs. It is a high-quality food, containing the perfect amount of calories and fat to help maintain a healthy weight for a large dog. This product has increased amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin, to support bone and joint health in large breed dogs.
Preventative care measures for joint and bone problems such as arthritis and hip dysplasia include choosing the appropriate dog food for large breed puppies
The best dried dog food for dogs with itchy-skin problems could be limited ingredient formulas or hypoallergenic recipes.
Limited ingredient diets involve food with fewer ingredients, like only one protein, which makes it easier to identify the allergen that causes the itchy skin.
Hypoallergenic diets contain hydrolyzed proteins, which means the proteins have been broken down into their basic building blocks called amino acids. An example of one of the best dry dog food products of each diet type is listed below.
- Wellness Simple Salmon and Potato (Limited ingredients)
This Wellness Simple recipe was formulated to combat allergy symptoms like rashes, dry skin, and hot spots through feeding the dog a limited ingredient diet. This dog food is for dogs with sensitive stomachs or sensitive skins. The primary protein is salmon for development of lean muscles, and potatoes are added for energy supply. Digestion is improved by the addition of flaxseed and tomato pomace. The pomace is also packed with antioxidants to boost the dog’s immune system. The presence of probiotics in the formula encourages gut health.
- Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice formula (Hypoallergenic)
Diamond Naturals dry dog food is formulated with a holistic nutrition approach. The recipe contains only high-quality hypoallergenic ingredients. Beef supports the development of the dog’s muscles and the probiotics promote healthy digestion. Kale, chia seeds, carrots, spinach, pumpkin, and blueberries are all part of a superfood blend added to the formula to support the dog’s digestion and immune health.
A dog’s immune system does not recognize hydrolyzed proteins as allergens, and therefore, no allergic reaction takes place.
When choosing the best dry dog food for dogs with chicken-related sensitivities, careful consideration is necessary because animal protein is a vital ingredient in any dog’s diet. Chicken is the most prevalent protein in dry dog foods, mainly because it is the cheapest protein on the market. However, many dogs have allergic reactions to poultry, and their owners must find alternative diet options for their dogs. Below are two of the best chicken-free dry dog food options available.
- Orijen Regional Red Dry Dog Food
Orijen’s recipes seldom contain chicken. They source all the proteins for their dry dog food recipes regionally. The Regional Red formula contains 85% fresh or raw meat and fish, including Angus beef, plains bison, wild boar, Yorkshire pork and Romney lamb. The fish in the recipe is wild-caught Pacific Pilchards.
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream Grain-Free Recipe
Taste of the Wild specializes in producing healthy dry dog food without chicken as the main source of protein. However, owners of dogs with chicken allergies should check the ingredients list for chicken fat or chicken meal. The Pacific Stream variety of this company’s dry dog food is a wise choice for dog owners who want to avoid poultry, eggs or any other fowl-linked ingredient. Pacific Stream is grain free, and the primary protein is fresh and smoked salmon and probiotics to boost the dog’s digestive process.
Protein deficiency makes a dog vulnerable to developing health problems, like skin damage and hair loss, so the alternative to chicken dog food should be chosen with care.
When looking for the best dry dog food for a dog who is hypersensitive to grains, it is crucial to ensure the grain-free option contains the necessary nutrients to maintain optimal health. Picking the best dog food for a pup is never simple, especially for dogs with different nutritional needs based on size, age, and health issues.
The two most frequently used ingredients to replace grains are potatoes and legumes like lentils, peas, soybeans, chickpeas, etc. Although they are suitable proteins to add to the recipe, plant proteins lack some essential amino acids. Therefore, it is best to choose a grain-free dry dog food with meat still the primary source of protein. Some of the best grain-free dry dog foods are listed below.
- Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food?
While various grains could cause allergic reactions in dogs, common proteins like chicken and beef pose similar risks. Therefore, Taste of the Wild uses only novel proteins like water buffalo, bison, wildfowl, venison, wild boar, lamb and salmon as primary protein sources. This brand has nine grain-free options for pups that are gluten-intolerant.
- Wellness CORE RawRev Grain-Free Original Recipe with Freeze-Dried Turkey Dry Dog Food
This grain-free Wellness CORE RawRev Original Turkey & Chicken with Freeze Dried Turkey formula is crafted using advanced natural nutrition in crunchy kibble with meaty, freeze-dried turkey bites for dogs. The recipe includes pure protein along with natural enzymes for the promotion of a dog’s entire body health. It supports muscle tone, lean body mass and a dog’s healthy coat and skin. Antioxidants, omega fatty acids, probiotics, glucosamine and taurine fortifies it to create a flavor to please all dogs.
For dogs with allergy problems, prevention could lie in choosing a grain-free dry dog food..
The choice of the best dry dog food for Shih Tzu dogs will depend on its life stage. A dry food formulated for an adult Shih Tzu may not have enough calcium or protein for a puppy, or it could have too many calories or too little protein for an inactive senior Shih Tzu. Histidine is an essential amino acid of which a Shih Tzu puppy needs more than double the amount required by an adult dog,
Below is a list of top quality dry dog food for each life stage of Shih Tzu.
- Shih Tzu Puppy – 9 to 12 Months:
Blue Buffalo Freedom Small Breed Puppy Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is gluten-free and grain-free kibble that features real chicken first. It is completely free from poultry by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy and artificial flavors and preservatives. It is specially designed for small-breed puppies, and the kibble is sized smaller and it contains a proper blend of carbohydrates and protein to meet the higher energy requirements of young puppies. Fatty acids found in mother’s milk that help support brain and eye development are included in this dry dog food recipe.
- Shih Tzu Adult – 1 to 11 years:
Nutro Ultra Small Breed dry dog food is a small breed recipe with fresh chicken and chicken meal as the primary protein sources. A holistic blend of “superfoods” contains a balanced mix of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables, three premium (lean) proteins, and healthy wholegrains. Perfect for Shih Tzu Adults but not for puppies.
- Shih Tzu Senior – over 11 years:
Diamond Naturals Senior Dog Chicken, Egg and Oatmeal dry formula has guaranteed probiotics and is enhanced with superfoods to support a senior Shih Tzu’s overall health. This senior dry dog food recipe is made with real chicken and real vegetables and fruits, including kale, peas, coconut, and blueberries. It provides older Shih Tzus with minerals, proteins, omega fatty acids to help promote a shiny coat and healthy skin. The recipe contains antioxidants for overall well-being.
Shih Tzu puppies, adults and seniors all have different nutritional needs. Therefore, the age of a Shih Tzu plays a significant role in dry dog food choice.
Choosing the best dry dog food is important, especially if the dog owner wants to avoid tear stains on a puppy’s face. Many people do not realize that those awful tear stains on the white faces of their Maltese or other fluffy dogs could be caused by the food they eat. Generally, cheap dog food doesn’t ensure long-term good health and is more likely to produce tear stains than high-quality options. Two of the best dry dog food to prevent tear stains are listed below.
- Halo Holistic Wild Salmon & Whitefish Recipe
Halo Adult Dog Holistic Wild Salmon & Whitefish Recipe for small breeds is free of meat meals, artificial additives, and factory farmed ingredients that could lead to conditions causing tear stains. It contains a combination of whole fish meat, healthy grains, and non-GMO produce. The formula creates a deliciously crunchy dry dog food that provides adult small breed dogs with the nutrients necessary to maintain their energy, strength, and digestive health. It’s also highly digestible and the included fatty acids help improve the dog’s skin and coat.
- Wellness Complete Health Adult Dry Dog Food, Whitefish & Sweet Potato Recipe
This Wellness dry dog food has proved to be the answer for tear stain prevention in adult dogs. The recipe is a limited ingredient formula with a single protein source, whitefish, and sweet potato to benefit the doggy’s digestion. The formula was designed to provide high levels of essential Omega fatty acids for a healthy coat and skin.
Cheap kibble typically contains cheap fillers, excess chemicals, artificial colors and flavors, and preservatives with little nutritional value and highly likely to cause brown tear stains.
When choosing the best dog food for large breed dogs, noting that a significant percentage of dogs suffer arthritis due to degeneration of their joints as they age is essential. Fortunately, changing the dog’s diet to a dry dog food containing glucosamine could prevent the pup’s suffering. Glucosamine is a natural substance that helps to reduce arthritis pain in dogs as they age. Degeneration of joints can be prevented if the dog’s diet includes glucosamine through adulthood. Two of the best dry dog food products containing glucosamine are listed below.
- Victor Purpose – Performance, Dry Dog Food
This product was formulated purposefully for high-performance, sporting breeds and very active dogs of any breed. The kibble contains glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain joint health and slow down joint degeneration. Beef meal is listed as the main protein source, enhanced by chicken and pork meal. The recipe includes calcium and L-carnitine for strong muscles and bones. The extracts of a dessert plant, Yucca Schidigera, provide omega-3 fatty acids, and the formula also includes probiotics to promote digestive health.
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Senior Dog Food
This product is designed specifically for senior dogs with arthritis and other joint pain. Wellness complete dry food for senior dogs has deboned chicken and chicken meal as the primary protein ingredients. The wholesome ingredients in this dry dog food product are digestible and provide a balanced blend of nutrients. Joint and bone support comes from included glucosamine and chondroitin. Additional health benefits are provided by prebiotic fiber, probiotics and essential omega fatty acids added to the formula.
Dog owners who think their dogs are lazy when they prefer to rest rather than be active might want to consider pain as the cause instead of laziness.
The best dry dog food with pumpkin can aid and regulate digestion and bring relief for dogs with digestive issues. Pumpkin also offers high-quality carbohydrates, minerals, and vitamins to further benefit a dog’s nutrition. The bulk of the nutrition in pumpkin is dietary fiber and carbohydrates.
- Earthborn Holistic Venture Duck Meal and Pumpkin
This Earthborn Holistic formula is specifically made to utilize pumpkin’s benefits in the best and tastiest way. It is made with all of the necessary ingredients, and none of the ingredients that prove to be fillers with no nutritional value. It is packed with high-quality proteins like rabbit, turkey, or duck and loaded with vitamins, minerals and natural antioxidants provided by the pumpkin.
- Acana Beef and Pumpkin
Acana is known for producing award-winning food. The Beef and Pumpkin formula utilizes all the benefits of pumpkin while offering the satiating benefit only beef can offer. This Beef and Pumpkin variety was formulated specially for dogs with food sensitivities. It is loaded with over 60% beef to keep your dogs feeling full for longer periods of time while using limited ingredients to fulfill your dog’s dietary needs.
Pumpkin in dry dog food can not only help ease mild constipation but it is also crucial for brain and eye development and provide all-around immune support.
Choosing the best dry dog food for a pup with pancreatitis is crucial. Pancreatitis is a serious, painful condition. One of the dietary tools vets often use to ease the dog’s pancreatic enzyme production is a low-fat, highly digestible diet while allowing the pancreas recovery time.
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food
This is a veterinary prescription diet with no more than 8.5% fat and about 20% high-quality protein content, easily digestible. This makes it ideal for the management of acute pancreatitis in a dog; however, dogs with digestive sensitivities can eat this Royal Canin dry dog food long-term as a preventative measure. The specialized formula of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Dry Dog Food contains prebiotic and omega-3 fatty acids supplements to reduce digestive system inflammation and establish a healthy gut microbiome.
- Hill’s Prescription Diet i/d Digestive Care Low Fat Dog Food
This low-fat hills dry dog food contains a maximum of 9% fat and a minimum of 20% protein. It includes wheat and brewer’s rice as two of the first five ingredients, along with plant protein and starch, making it highly digestible and a good feeding plan for dogs with pancreatitis. The palatability of the kibble is enhanced by pork flavorings and chicken liver to encourage dogs to eat while recovering from pancreatitis.
In severe cases, pancreatitis can affect the health of the liver and other neighboring organs. It is crucial to take your dog to your trusted veterinarian if you suspect pancreatitis
Yorkies deserve the best dry dog food. Yorkshire Terriers are cuddly and cute doggies of a toy breed that possess big personalities, weighing around 5-7 pounds.
The simplest way to provide a Yorkie with the best dog food is to feed him toy breed dog food. Toy breed foods are recipes dense in calories, fat, and nutrition. They come in smaller kibble sizes for easier chewing in those tiny mouths.
- Royal Canin — Yorkshire Terrier Adult Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin’s dry dog foods for Yorkies are formulated to meet the unique needs of the tiny Yorkshire Terriers. With a variety of protein-packed ingredients including taurine, brewers rice, corn, and fish oil, this dry dog food is designed exclusively for Yorkshire Terriers over ten months old. It offers exceptional flavor and aroma for fussy Yorkie appetites and the nutrients have been carefully selected to maintain the health of your Yorkie.
- Wellness Toy Breed Complete Health Dog Food
This natural dry food for toy breed dogs is formulated with carefully chosen ingredients to provide whole body support for toy breed dogs. It is crafted into a smaller kibble size for easy eating. It contains expertly balanced premium proteins and wholesome grains to support the pup’s immune system, optimal energy levels and a healthy coat and skin. This dry dog food is fortified with antioxidants, omega fatty acids, glucosamine, taurine and probiotics. It does not contain any artificial preservatives, fillers, or meat by-products.
Unfortunately, the Yorkie breed is predisposed to health concerns such as collapsing tracheas, hypoglycemia, and dental issues. Thus, it is crucial to feed Yorkies a nutritionally balanced food developed specifically for their wellbeing.
The best dry dog food for canines with sensitive stomachs would depend on the dog’s age, diet, health and weight. For example, older dogs (7 years or more) and puppies are more susceptible to digestive problems. Great Danes, German Shepherds, and Yorkies are genetically more likely to be born with or develop a sensitive stomach.
Food allergies are also a big instigator of digestive conditions and more. Low-quality ingredients (fillers, wheat, corn, etc) can also lead to chronic digestive issues and cause flare-ups. It can be difficult to calm down your dog’s sensitive stomach, and you may have to try a few different foods before you hit upon the perfect recipe for your pup.
However, the following dry dog foods are well-suited for dogs with sensitive stomachs and are highly rated by other owners who have already offered them to their dogs.
- Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Formula Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
This limited ingredient dry dog food is great for dogs with food-related stomach sensitivities. The specially-formulated kibble is made with easily-digestible egg protein as the primary protein source. It alternates carbohydrate sources for sound digestion, and species-specific probiotics for a dog’s digestive health. Thus, every bite is loaded with good bacteria that are actually native to the canine gastrointestinal tract, to promote easy digestion naturally. Furthermore, Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Formula is enhanced with vitamins and minerals, and omegas for skin and coat health. It provides a complete and balanced diet for adult dogs in every bowl.
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
This dry dog food is specifically designed for adult dogs. Real chicken is the primary protein source. Prebiotic fibre supports a balanced microbiome and aids healthy digestion. The formula includes generous vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acid sources to promote healthy skin and a lustrous coat. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Chicken Recipe can be used for long-term nutrition to promote a healthy gut and shiny coat for any adult dog.
Dogs can develop food sensitivities at all life stages, but age, size, and breed are a big part of a dog’s propensity to develop tummy issues.
Finding the best dry dog food to tickle the tastebuds of a dog who is a picky eater could be frustrating. You can try different protein sources. Does your dog prefer beef or chicken? Neither? Then perhaps your pup would fancy a less popular choice, like venison or duck.
- True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable Dry Dog Food
True Acre Foods Beef & Vegetable Recipe is made with USA-raised beef as the first ingredient and real, farm-grown veggies like peas and carrots. This complete and balanced dry dog food delivers flavor and nutrition to delight and nourish any picky eater dog. Packed with natural fibers, antioxidants, and essential omega-3 and 6 fatty acids, it will help promote digestion, support the dog’s immune system and help with overall health.
- Merrick Real Texas Beef + Sweet Potato Recipe Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
This is a natural dry dog food that’s made with 65% protein and healthy fat ingredients. Deboned beef is the primary protein to help maintain healthy muscle tissue and energy levels. Other ingredients include natural ingredients like fiber, vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, chondroitin, glucosamine and more to create a complete and balanced diet that will please the palate of any dog.
If you suspect your dog’s issues with food are more than just a picky palate—or if you’re concerned about your dog’s weight—it’s important to make an appointment with your vet.
Choosing the best dry dog food for a German Shepherd dog is vital. Adult German Shepherds are known for their skin allergies and sensitive stomachs. This is the main reason why you need to pay close attention to the food that they are eating and create a special diet for them.
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition German Shepherd Adult Dry Dog Food
The main ingredients in this nutrient-packed Royal Canin Giant dry dog food are chicken, pork and ground brown rice. All three are high in protein, excellent for the muscle growth and cognitive development that’s necessary throughout a German Shepherd’s life. This dry dog food also helps support the German Shepherd’s joints and muscle growth. Joint pain and disorders are very common in large breeds of dogs, and if you start while they’re young, the right dog food can prevent all kinds of joint issues that might develop as the dog ages.
- Hill’s Science Diet Large Puppy Food
Hills’s large breed puppy dry dog food is a good food choice for German Shepherd puppies up to 12 months old. The formula contains optimal levels of calcium to ensure controlled bone growth to prevent the onset of hip dysplasia and other health conditions. This diet includes natural glucosamine and chondroitin to help keep joints and muscles healthy and strong. A pup’s immune system is also supported through the unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The food contains no artificial preservatives, colors, or flavorings.
German Shepherds (GSD) are more than just companions. They are also known for being amazing guard dogs. These dogs have a huge build so they definitely need enough nutrients to stay healthy and strong.