10 Best Dog Foods for Dalmatians
With their dazzling white fur and signature black spots, Dalmatians are a sight to behold. These affectionate, loyal, and playful medium to large breeds have unique nutritional needs. Dog foods suitable for Dalmatians are those with balanced nutrients essential for the overall wellness of Dalmatians.
What are the properties of the best foods for Dalmatians?
Here are the main features to look out for when selecting the right food for your Dalmatian:
- Dalmatians are prone to urinary stones. This calls for food with fewer purines. Purines raise the levels of uric acid, thus aggravating the problem. Low purine proteins include chicken and turkey. Avoid red meat, peas, and game meat as they have many purines.
- Dalmatians are also predisposed to hip and elbow problems. Therefore, you should go for foods with joint-friendly supplements like calcium, phosphorus, chondroitin, and glucosamine.
- The best food for Dalmatians ought to have omega fatty acids and moderate fats, as Dalmatians have sensitive skin.
- They also need complex carbs from healthy sources like sweet potatoes to sustain their super-active life.
- Micronutrients like antioxidants, prebiotics, and probiotics play a key role in Dalmatians’ food. Fiber is also key for digestive wellness.
Though a tedious process, choosing the right food lowers the risks of digestive problems, allergies, and obesity and keeps your Dalmatian joyful.
What are the top five brands for the best food for Dalmatians?
Below is a list of the top five brands for the best food for Dalmatians:
- Royal Canin
- Holistic Select
- Blue Buffalo
The price for the best food for Dalmatians ranges from $27 to $85.55 for bags weighing 22 to 35 pounds, with the average price being $61.69. Your Dalmatian’s life stage also determines the food to serve. Puppies need more calories (30 calories per pound of body weight), while adults need approximately 25 calories per pound. Here is a list of the top five dog foods for Dalmatians:
- Best Overall: Nutro Ultra Adult Dry Food – $59.49 for a 30-pounds pack.
- Best Price-Effective: American Journey Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – $49.99 for a 24-pounds pack.
- Best for Dalmatians with allergies: Go! SENSITIVITIES Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food -$76.99 for a 22-pounds pack.
- Best for Dalmatian Puppies: Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Health Dry Dog Food – $67.99 for a 30-pounds pack.
- Best for Senior Dalmatians: Merrick Grain-Free Senior Dry Food – $64.98 for a 22-pounds pack.
Note: The prices in this article are as of 9th April 2022.
Here’s our extensive review of the best food for Dalmatians:
View Table of Contents
- 1. Nutro Ultra Adult Dry Dog Food
- 2. Royal Canin Dalmatian Adult Dry Dog Food
- 3. Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Puppy Health Dry Dog Food (Best for Dalmatian Puppies)
- 4. Merrick Grain-Free Senior Dry Dog Food (Best for Senior Dalmatians)
- 5. Go! SENSITIVITIES Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best for Dalmatians with Allergies)
- 6. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Canned Dog Food (Best Wet Food)
- 7. My Ollie Fresh Food (Best Fresh Dog Food)
- 8. American Journey Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best Budget Dog Food)
- 9. Country Vet Naturals 24/14 Healthy Diet Dry Dog Food (Best for Weight Loss)
- 10. FirstMate Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best for Urinary Health)
- What are the facts that you should know about dog foods for Dalmatians?
Give your Dalmatian a balanced diet with this savory meal from The Nutro Company.
It is loaded with all the essential nutrients for your dog’s complete nutrition. This recipe has been in the market since June 8th, 2005, targeting all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Barley, and Whole Grain Oats.
- The low-purine protein value of 24% from Chicken is suitable for your Dalmatian. It boosts muscle health and lowers the risk of urinary stones.
- The fat value of 16% and caloric content of 362 Kcal/cup ensure your super-active Dalmatian stays engaged throughout the day.
- Nutro Ultra Adult Formula is packed with omegas to moisturize your Dalmatian-sensitive skin.
- Calcium and phosphorus are important for cartilage wellness as they reduce the probability of joint problems.
- Vitamin E, selenium, and other antioxidants boost immunity and protect Dalmatians from free radicals that cause cancer and other inflammatory diseases.
- All ingredients are sourced from trusted suppliers and undergo a thorough test process.
Nutro Ultra Adult Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive tummies. Your Dalmatian’s weight is a guide on the daily amounts to serve. A 55-pounds Dalmatian needs 2 ¾ cups. A 30-pounds pack costs $59.49.
Provide your Dalmatian dog premium nutrition with this delicacy by Royal Canin, with an initial manufacturing date of November 1st, 2017.
This recipe targets large dog breeds and features Brewers Rice, Wheat, Corn, Chicken Fat, and Egg Product as the key ingredients.
- The protein value of 20% promotes muscle power and ensures a low risk of urinary stones with the low levels of dietary purines.
- Dalmatians are high-energy dogs, and Royal Canin Dalmatian Formula comes in handy with the 16% fat value and 375 calories per cup.
- Consuming this meal promotes brain health and improves focus and trainability with DHA and EPA.
- This diet also lowers the risks of developing joint problems with chondroitin and glucosamine.
- The kibble size is specifically designed for your Dalmatian for easy pickup and chewing.
- Royal Canin Dalmatian Formula reinforces the skin barrier with important nutrients to lower skin problems.
- Taurine promotes healthy cardiac function.
Royal Canin Dalmatian Formula is suitable for your active Dalmatian. Avoid it in dogs with grain allergies. The daily servings depend on your Dalmatian’s weight and activity levels. For example, Dalmatians weighing 44.1 lbs need 2 ⅝ cups for normal activity and 3 cups for high activity. A 30-pounds pack costs $85.55.
Reward your Dalmatian puppy’s good behavior with this premium recipe by Holistic Select.
The first manufacturing date is October 30th, 2009, and it targets large and giant breeds. The main ingredients include Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, and Barley.
- The protein value of 25% from low-purine sources is perfect for your Dalmatian.
- The 16% fat content and calorie value of 433 Kcal/cup suit your ever-active Dalmatian.
- Your puppy’s brain is still developing, and this formula comes in handy as it contains DHA for cognitive wellness.
- Probiotics, antioxidants, glucosamine, and taurine work together for digestive, immune, cartilage, and heart health.
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids are great for your Dalmatian Puppy’s sensitive skin.
- Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Formula is crafted in the US using premium ingredients.
- This recipe has digestive enzymes to break down proteins, starch, and cellulose. In addition, it is packed with dietary fiber for smooth digestion.
Holistic Select Large $ Giant Breed Formula is suitable for puppies with sensitive digestion. Be careful as this meal is grain-inclusive. The daily intake depends on your Dalmatian’s poundage. For example, Dalmatians weighing 50-60 pounds need 2 ⅜ to 2 ¾ cups. A 30-pounds pack costs $67.99.
Help your senior Dalmatian enjoy its golden years with this mouth-watering formula by Merrick Pet Care.
The first manufacturing date is October 18th, 2019, targeting all dog breeds. The primary ingredients are deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, and Turkey Meal.
- The protein value of 30% from low-purine chicken is suitable for your Dalmatian’s strong muscles.
- The 12% fat and calorie value of 370 calories per cup are perfect for your less-active senior Dalmatian.
- Sweet potatoes are complex carbs to provide high-quality fiber for proper digestion.
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids soothe your Dalmatian’s sensitive skin.
- Senior Dalmatians are more exposed to joint issues, and Merrick Grain-free Senior Formula has chondroitin and glucosamine for cartilage wellness.
- Senior dogs are also susceptible to heart problems, and this meal comes in handy with taurine.
- This grain-free formula has no corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives, or gluten.
Merrick’s grain-free Senior Formula is suitable for dogs with tummy sensitivities and grain allergies. Divide your dog’s meals into smaller amounts and serve two to three times a day to lower the risks of obesity. Dalmatians weighing 50 lbs need a daily intake of 3 ½ cups or, 1295 calories. A 22-pounds pack costs $64.98.
5. Go! SENSITIVITIES Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dry Dog Food (Best for Dalmatians with Allergies)
Massage your dog’s instincts with this tasty recipe by Petcurean, with an initial production date of October 25th, 2019.
This meal targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Tapioca, Peas, and Lentils.
- The 24% protein value is suitable for Dalmatians. In addition, the fat and caloric values of 12% and 449 Kcal/cup, respectively, boost your Dalmatian’s stamina.
- It is crafted with a single-source animal protein to lower the risks of tummy sensitivities and allergies.
- Omega-3 and 6 are essential for smooth skin and reduced skin problems. The omegas also lower inflammation around the joints and promote brain health. Calcium and phosphorus also support joint wellness.
- It uses only six ingredients and is free from fillers, including wheat and corn.
- The high-quality fiber from dried chicory roots supports sensitive stomachs.
This recipe is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion. It has no grain, gluten, corn, wheat, or soy. However, you should serve in small portions, as lots of peas and lentils increase uric acid levels. The daily intake depends on your Dalmatian’s weight and activity levels. For example, a Dalmatian weighing 50-70 lbs needs 2 to 2 ½ cups for less activity and 2 ¼ to 3 cups for high activity. A 22-pounds pack costs $76.99.
Awaken the wolf in your Dalmatian with this tangy recipe by Blue Buffalo Company Ltd. This meal was first made available on June 2nd, 2015, targeting all dog breeds.
The key ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, and Peas.
- The protein value of 8.5% from low-purine chicken suits your Dalmatian, while the fat content of 5.5% and caloric value of 451 Kcal/cup provide sufficient energy for daily activity,
- The high moisture value (78%) promotes digestion, keeps dogs hydrated, and flushes toxins from the body.
- Blueberries and cranberries are excellent sources of antioxidants for protection against free radicals and improved immunity.
- You can serve it as a standalone meal, a treat, or mix it with your Dalmatian food.
- It has no wheat, corn, soy, by-products, or artificial flavors.
- The healthy carbs also provide energy for your active Dalmatian.
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive tummies. Feed ¾ to 1 can for every 10 lbs of body weight daily. A 14-day transition period is perfect for your Dalmatian to adapt to Blue Buffalo. Start with 25% of Blue Buffalo and increase the amounts gradually. A 12.5-oz can, case of 12, costs $27.00.
Give your Dalmatian a fresh taste with this premium diet by Ollie. Ollie dog foods use fresh ingredients to delight your dog’s taste buds and appeal to its instincts.
Their beef recipe comes with immense benefits for your pup. The main ingredients include Beef, Peas, Sweet potato, potato, and Carrot.
- Fresh dog food mimics wild dog food to appeal to your finicky Dalmatian.
- Sweet potato is a great source of fiber for digestive wellness, while blueberries provide antioxidants to protect dogs against inflammation.
- Ollie Fresh Food has beta-carotene for vision and skin health.
- Fish oil is an excellent source of omegas for your sensitive Dalmatian.
- Beef is the number one ingredient for high-quality proteins for muscle wellness.
- Ollie Fresh Food saves you time since the food is delivered to your doorstep.
- The high moisture value is perfect for your Dalmatian’s sensitive skin, as it moisturizes it.
- Ollie Fresh Food includes rosemary, which protects against infections and oxidative damage thanks to its microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Ollie Fresh food is designed uniquely to meet your dog’s needs. The serving guidelines are also customized based on your Dalamatian’s nutritional needs. Serve according to the feeding guidelines, as too many peas cause urinary stones in the long run.
Give your Dalmatian a great life journey with American Journey limited Ingredient Formula by Chewy.
It is specifically crafted to meet the nutritional requirements of all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal, Peas, Chickpeas, and Sweet Potatoes.
- The 25% protein value from low-purine Salmon is perfect for your Dalmatian to promote the development of lean muscles. The fat and caloric contents of 12% and 327 Kcal/cup provide energy for physical activities.
- This recipe has fewer ingredients and a single-protein source to lower the risks of sensitive skin and stomach problems.
- It is crafted with easily-digestible carbs, including sweet potatoes, to make it easier to absorb them in the body for maximum benefits.
- American Journey Limited Ingredient Formula provides complete nutrition with no grain, wheat, corn, soy, poultry by-product meals, or artificial colors.
- This meal contains moisturizing omegas to boost your Dalmatian-sensitive skin.
American Journey Limited Ingredient Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion and allergies. Your Dalmatian’s weight dictates the daily portions. For example, Dalmatians weighing 50 lbs need 3 ½ cups, while those weighing 100 lbs need 6 cups. Be careful when serving, as too many peas can cause urinary stones. A 24-pounds pack costs $49.99.
Give your Dalmatian an ideal weight with this high-quality meal by Country Vet Naturals, with a manufacturing date of June 28th, 2018.
This delicacy targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Grain Sorghum, Pearled Barley, and Brewers Rice.
- The protein content of 24% from low-purine Chicken Meal is suitable for your Dalmatian muscles. In addition, the fat and caloric values of 14% and 403 Kcal/cup boost your Dalmatian’s stamina.
- This meal has probiotics and prebiotic cultures for your dog’s digestive wellness.
- It is crafted with highly-digestible ingredients, minerals, and vitamins for your sensitive or allergic Dalmatian.
- Country Vet Naturals Formula is free from fillers like corn, wheat, and soy.
- Dalmatians are prone to joint problems and sensitive skin. This recipe comes in handy with glucosamine, chondroitin, and omegas.
Country Vet Naturals 24/14 Formula is suitable for dogs with weight problems. Dalmatians weighing up to 25 lbs need ½ to 1 ½ cups daily, while those with weights ranging from 25-50 lbs need 1 ½ to 2 ½ cups. Introduce this meal gradually, starting with 25% and increasing slowly. A 35-pounds pack costs 38.44.
Tantalize your Dalmatian’s taste buds with this tasty recipe from FirstMate. This recipe has been in the market since February 5th, 2007, and targets all dog breeds.
The main ingredients include Chicken Meal, Burbank Potato, Norkotah Potato, Chicken Fat, and Whole Blueberries.
- The protein content of 25% from Chicken Meal is great for urinary and muscle health, while the fat and caloric values of 14% and 537 Kcal/cup provide sufficient energy for daily activity.
- This recipe is ideal for dogs with allergies or stomach problems, as it is crafted with a single-source protein.
- Blueberries promote a healthy immune system, urinary tract, improved vision, and proper memory. In addition, blueberries improve palatability and boost digestive wellness.
- This diet is made in Canada with high-quality ingredients.
- Glucosamine, phosphorus, and calcium promote bone and joint health.
- It is great for urinary health, crafted from low-purine ingredients, excluding peas.
FirstMate Limited Ingredient Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion and allergies. The daily intake varies depending on your Dalmatian’s weight. Dalmatians weighing 30-50 lbs need ¾ to 1 ½ cups for seniors, 1 to 1 ¾ cups for adults, and 1 ¼ to 2 cups for puppies. A 28.6-pounds pack costs $84.79.
What are the facts that you should know about dog foods for Dalmatians?
Below is a list of the facts that you should know about dog foods for Dalmatians:
- Dalmatians, like other dogs, need proteins for strong muscles. However, the protein content should be moderate, as too much protein can lead to urinary stones. In addition, the protein sources should have low purine levels. Purines increase the levels of uric acids, thus aggravating the urinary problem. Ensure the proteins are from identifiable sources and avoid ambiguous labels.
- Dalmatians are super-active dogs; hence their foods should have moderate fats and more calories to provide sufficient energy.
- Dalmatians need fiber for digestive health. The fiber sources should be wholesome and complex. Complex carbs, including sweet potatoes, are excellent fiber sources.
- Dalmatians need food from high-quality ingredients. Their diets should be free from fillers like wheat, soy, corn, and artificial preservatives or colors.
- Dog foods for Dalmatians should have healthy oils and fats, as Dalmatians have sensitive skin. The oils and fats should come from the best sources like salmon, flaxseed, and chicken fat.
- Antioxidants, prebiotics, and probiotics play a key role in your Dalmatian’s health. Go for food crafted with real fruits and vegetables for high-quality antioxidants. Blueberries and cranberries are excellent sources of antioxidants.
What are the best dog foods for Dalmatians according to dog sizes?
The best dog food for small-sized Dalmatians
- Taste of the Wild Small Breed Appalachian Valley Dry Food: Give your small Dalmatian the taste of the wild with this premium formula. Crafted with novel proteins, including venison, this formula is the best choice for your dog. It also comes with probiotics and prebiotic fiber to support digestion. Your Dalmatian with sensitive skin will also benefit from fatty acids.
The best dog food for medium and large Dalmatians
- Wellness Core Large Breed Grain-free Chicken & Turkey Dry Food: Give your big buddy complete wellness with Wellness Core Large Breed Formula. This premium formula for large dogs is crafted with chicken, turkey, vegetables, and fruits and is fortified with glucosamine, chondroitin, omegas, probiotics, and antioxidants that work together for complete wellness. Chicken and turkey are low-purine protein sources for your Dalmatian.
What are the best dog foods for Dalmatians with different ingredients?
The best dog food for Dalmatians with pumpkin
- Lucy Pet products Duck, Pumpkin, & Quinoa Grain-free Dry Food: Pumpkin and quinoa provide high-quality fiber for digestion, and the duck is low in purines, thus suitable for your Dalmatian.
The best dog food for Dalmatian with blueberries
- Farmina N & D Prime Lamb & Blueberry Canned Dog Food: Dalmatians need lots of antioxidants to lower the risks of inflammation, and blueberries come in handy. The proteins from lamb give your Dalmatian a muscular appearance.
What are the other dog foods for different health conditions similar to Dalmatians?
The best dog food for Dalmatians with sensitive stomachs
- Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Dry Food: This formula is crafted with a single source of proteins to limit allergies that cause tummy sensitivities. It is also packed with omegas for healthy skin.
The best dog food for Dalmatians with allergies
- Canidae Pure Limited Ingredient Grain-free Salmon & Sweet Potato Dry Food: Made with 8 real ingredients, this diet is the best choice for your Dalmatian with allergies. It is also fortified with the Canidae HealthPLUS combination of antioxidants, omegas, and probiotics.
What are the best dog foods for other dog breeds similar to Dalmatians?
The best dog food for French Bulldogs
- American Journey Healthy Weight Active Life Formula Dry Food: Keep your French Bulldog looking great with a healthy weight with the American Journey healthy Weight Formula. It has L-carnitine, chondroitin, and glucosamine for heart and joint wellness.
The best dog foods for Huskies
- Diamond Naturals All Life Stages Dry Food: Each Diamond Natural Formula is enhanced with superfoods and probiotics for your dog’s overall growth. The high-quality protein boosts your Huskie’s muscle health.
The best dog foods for Labradors
- Royal Canin Breed Labrador Retriever Health Nutrition Puppy Dry Food: This exclusive breed-specific formula is crafted with the nutritional needs of your Lab puppy in need. The unique blend of antioxidants and vitamin E boost immunity, while calcium and phosphorus promote joint wellbeing.
The best dog foods for Dachshunds
- Royal Canin Breed Dachshund Health Nutrition Dry Food: This exclusive breed-specific diet is uniquely formulated for your Dachshund with specific nutrients for proper growth. The precise levels of L-carnitine and proteins are great for muscle support.
The best dog foods for Shih Tzu
- Royal Canin Breed Shih Tzu Puppy Health Nutrition Dry Food: Give your Shih Tzu Puppy the royalty he deserves with this breed-specific formula. It has EPA, DHA, and vitamin A for cognitive health and smooth skin.
The best dog foods for Yorkies with Dalmatians?
- Orijen Red Regional Grain-free Dry Food: Give your Yorkie peak nourishment with Orijen Red regional Formula. It is packed with whole animal ingredients to appeal to your dog’s instincts.
The best dog foods for German Shepherds
- Dr. Gary’s holistic German Best Breed Dry Food provides balanced nutrition with chicken as the number one ingredient. The high-quality fiber and New Zealand green-lipped sea mussels gastric and joint health.