How Big Do Akita Dogs Get?
How would you love to adopt an Akita as your pet?
Is its size suitable for you?
Well, let’s see.
View Table of Contents
- How Big Do Akitas Get When Fully Grown
- Average Height and Weight By Age: What to Expect?
- At what age is an Akita fully grown?
- Factors That Can Affect the Size of an Akita
- At What Age Do Akitas Stop Growing?
- How to Measure your Akita’s Height?
How Big Do Akitas Get When Fully Grown
The two types of Akitas are American and Japanese Akitas, whose full adult size is as follows:
Type of Akita
Male: 26-28 inches
Male: 100-130 pounds
Female: 24-26 inches
Female: 70-100 pounds
Male: 25-27.5 inches
Male: 70-85 pounds
Female: 22-25 inches
Female: 48-64 pounds
Average Height and Weight By Age: What to Expect?
At what age is an Akita fully grown?
Being large breed dogs, Akitas get close to their full adult size between 10-12 months of age but continue to add weight until their second birthday.
Factors That Can Affect the Size of an Akita
- Spaying/ Neutering: This makes dogs grow for longer periods making them taller and larger than usual.
- Genes: A dog’s parents largely affect its growth and size. As such, big parents beget big offsprings and vice versa.
- Gender: Generally, male dogs are larger than their female counterparts due to their structure and hormones
- Activity level: Exercising helps dogs maintain a healthy weight.
At What Age Do Akitas Stop Growing?
An Akita will be almost wholly developed at ten months of age and will continue to grow for 2-3 years slightly.
How to Measure your Akita’s Height?
- Let your dog standstill with its head raised.
- Put a ruler or a tape measure against the paw on the ground
- Use the ruler or tape measure to follow the dog’s legs up to their shoulder
- Your dog’s height is the value of the measurement taken from the floor to the shoulder
Is an Akita a good family dog?
Yes. Akitas are affectionate and playful. They thoroughly enjoy their family’s companionship.
How much walking does an Akita need?
At least 2 hours of walking per day is the minimum required for Akitas.
Is an Akita a large breed?
Yes, Akitas are a large dog breed weighing up to 130 pounds.
If you are not limited by space, Akitas are loyal, extremely affectionate, and make a good addition to your home.