Can Dogs Eat Watermelon Safely?
With proper precautions watermelon is a safe treat for dogs
When it comes to refreshing treats on a hot summer day, watermelon is my favorite. Not only for us humans but also for our furry four-legged best friends. Sharing your watermelon with Fido is perfectly safe. Although there are precautions to take, this juicy treat has multiple health benefits..
How healthy is watermelon for dogs?
Watermelon is an excellent choice to provide hydration on scorching days. Even though it is 92% water, it is rich in other nutrients. Thus, it is not surprising that the Watermelon Promotions Board, a department of the USDA, promotes it as a superfood. It is high in fiber and packed with antioxidants, Lypocene, vitamins A, C and B6, potassium and antioxidants.
Can my pooch eat all the watermelon parts?
Here’s where the precautions come in. Watermelon seeds could be harmful to Fido if he ingests more than a few seeds. Too many watermelon seeds could cause blockages in his intestines, especially if he is still a pup or one of the small breeds. If you can’t find seedless watermelons, remove as many seeds as possible before sharing a slice with your pooch.
Another part of this juicy treat that your doggy should not eat is the rind. Fido can safely nibble away on the light green inner skin, but the tough outer rind also poses a risk of intestinal blockages.
What about all the sugar in watermelon?
You’re right; its sugar content is high. However, watermelon also has a high fiber content, which has insulating abilities. The fiber serves to slow down the release of sugar into Doggo’s bloodstream. However, if your pup is diabetic, hold back on the watermelon until you’ve checked with your vet.
Can I give my dog too much watermelon?
As with anything else, moderation is key. Too much watermelon could lead to an upset tummy, diarrhea or constipation. Also, smaller dogs should eat smaller portions than large dogs.
To wrap it up
Too much of anything could cause problems. Here’s a golden rule: your pup’s regular balanced, nutrient-rich dog food must make up 90% of his diet. Treats like watermelon can make up the other 10%. If you stick to that rule and limit treats to occasional instead of daily, you will avoid diabetes and obesity risks for your dog.