10 Best Dog Foods for Poodles
With their curly coats and adorable personality, Poodles are a darling to most pet parents. These loyal, intelligent, and playful dogs come in standard, miniature, and toy sizes. Their sizes and body shape call for a diet that meets their nutritional and health requirements.
Poodles require high-protein formulas for their lean muscles. High-quality protein sources like chicken and turkey are excellent options, as they also provide fiber. They also need moderate carbs to maintain their active lifestyle. Omega fatty acids play a key role in maintaining your Poodle’s dense hypoallergenic coat. In addition, Poodles need food rich in antioxidants and probiotics for proper liver function, improved immunity, and gut wellness.
Selecting the best food is a tough process since many varieties to choose from. However, we have made it easier for you by giving you the 10 best foods for your Poodle. Selecting the correct food lowers the risk of stomach problems, allergic reactions, and unhealthy weight to keep your Poodle happy.
What are the high-ranking brands for the best food for Poodles?
Here are the top brands for the best food for poodles:
- Earthborn Holistic
- Nature’s Logic
- Taste of the Wild
The average price is $62.79, ranging from $27 to $112.99. Your dog’s life stage is also important when selecting the best food for Poodles. Puppies need high-energy food, while seniors do well with less-energy foods. Below are our top five best foods for your Poodle:
- Best Overall: Orijen Six Fish Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – $112.99 for a 25-lbs pack.
- Best Price-Effective: Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – $54.99 for a 28-lbs pack.
- Best Wet Food: Nutro Tender Chicken, Carrot & Pea Hearty Stew Canned Dog Food – $34.68 for a 12-pack of 12.5-oz cans.
- Best for Puppy Poodle: Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Puppy Deboned Chicken & Salmon Meal Dry Food – $66.98 for a 30-lbs pack.
- Best Grain-Free Food: Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food – $63.14 for a 25-lbs pack
Note: All prices in this article are as of 20th April 2022.
View Table of Contents
- 1. ORIJEN Six Fish Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 2. Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 3. Nature’s Logic Canine Chicken Meal Feast
- 4. Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 5. Wellness Core Dry Dog Food Small Breed
- 6. Nutro Tender Chicken, Carrot & Pea Hearty Stew Canned Food
- 7. Wellness Complete Health Large Breed Puppy Deboned Chicken & Salmon Meal Dry Food
- 8. Eukanuba Large Breed Adult Dog Formula Lamb and Rice Dry Dog Food
- 9. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe Natural Wet Dog Food With Chicken
- 10. Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Natural Dry Dog Food
- What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Poodles?
Give your Poodle the original taste of wild dog food with Orijen Six Fish Formula by Champion Petfoods.
The first manufacturing date is March 15th, 2019, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients are Whole Mackerel, Whole Herring, Monkfish, Acadian Redfish, and Flounder.
- The main ingredients are real meat from fish that contribute to a high protein value of 38% for your Poodle’s lean muscles.
- The fat value of 18% and calorie content of 468 Kcal/cup ensure your dog stays active throughout the day.
- This diet has DHA and EPA for cognitive health and mobility. Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids keep your Poodle’s curly coat smooth and shiny.
- Calcium. Phosphorus and glucosamine promote cartilage health and ensure the growth and development of thick bones and muscles.
- It is freeze-dried and coated for a burst of raw flavors to delight your picky eater Poodle.
Orijen Six Fish Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs, grain allergies, and chicken intolerance. Your dog’s weight and activity levels dictate the daily intake. Poodles weighing 5-15 lbs need ¼ to ⅔ cups for less activity and ½ to 1 cup for high activity. A 25-lbs bag costs $112.99.
Give your Poodle a taste of his ancestral food with Earthborn Holistic Primitive Formula from Midwestern Pet Foods.
The initial manufacturing date is April 17th, 2008, and it targets all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potato, Tapioca, and Dried Egg.
- The protein value of 32% is great for your Poodles muscular appearance.
- This recipe has 400 calories per cup and an 18% fat value for stamina.
- It uses carefully-selected vegetables and fruits, including blueberries, cranberries, spinach, and carrots, for powerful antioxidants to boost immunity and prevent oxidative damage.
- Earthborn Holistic Primitive Formula has L-carnitine to convert fat into useful energy and promote lean muscle mass.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids create a barrier over your dog’s skin to keep it soft, smooth, and healthy.
- It uses high-quality ingredients for improved digestibility and maximum nutrient absorption.
Earthborn Holistic Primitive Formula is best for dogs with grain allergies. The daily intake depends on your dog’s weight, with Poodles weighing 5-10 lbs needing ½ to ¾ cups and those weighing 10-20 lbs requiring ¾ to 1 ¼ cups. For maximum benefits, combine this diet with regular exercise and veterinary care. A 25-lbs bag costs $63.14.
Nurture your Poodle with Nature’s Logic Canine Formula from Phillips Feed & Pet Supply. The first production date is May 13th, 2009 and it targets all dog breeds.
The main ingredients include Chicken Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat, Pumpkin Seed, and Yeast Culture.
- It has 36% protein value, 15% fat content, and 417.95 Kcal/cup for powerful muscles and high energy levels.
- It has minimally processed food, including blueberries and dried kelp, to retain essential nutrients.
- This recipe is perfect for digestive wellness as it has probiotics and digestive enzymes.
- Nature’s Logic Canine Formula is free from corn, wheat, soy, rice, and hydrolyzed protein for your sensitive Poodle.
- It has non-GMO millet, which is low-glycemic for your diabetic Poodle.
Nature’s Logic Canine Formula is best for dogs with tummy sensitivities and those that can tolerate grains. The daily consumption depends on your Poodle’s weight and activity levels. Poodles weighing 3-12 lbs need ⅔- 2 cups for puppies, ⅓ to 3/4cups for adults with normal activity, and ½ to 1 ½ cups for active adults, pregnant, and lactating dogs. To lower the risks of digestive problems, introduce this diet gradually over 7-10 days. A 25-lbs bag costs $79.99.
Massage your Poodle’s wild nature with the Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula from the Taste of the Wild.
The first manufacturing date is March 15th, 2018, targeting all dog breeds. The major ingredients include Water Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, and Peas.
- The 32% protein value fuels your dog’s muscle power, while the 18% fat content and calorie value of 422 Kcal/cup supply energy for your active Poodle.
- It has probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants to promote digestive wellness and protect your Poodle from free radicals that cause cancer.
- It has no corn, wheat, grain, artificial colors, or artificial grains for your Poodle’s sensitive tummy.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids promote skin and coat health, while taurine is great for cardiac wellness.
- This recipe is crafted with high-quality ingredients from trusted sources.
The Taste of the Wild High Prairie Formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies and grain allergies. The daily intake depends on your Poodle’s weight, with Poodles weighing 3 lbs need ⅓ cups, and those weighing 5 lbs require ½ cup. Poodles with weights ranging from 10-100 lbs need ¾ to 4 ⅔ cups. A bag weighing 28 lbs costs $54.99.
Give your Poodle complete wellness with Wellness Core Dry Formula from Wellpet LLC. The first production date is March 17th, 2012, and it targets small, extra small, and toy breeds.
The key ingredients include Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Lentils, and Peas.
- The protein content of 36%, the fat value of 16%, and the caloric content of 412 Kcal/cup boost your dog’s muscle wellness and provide sufficient energy for physical activities.
- This recipe is great for joint, bone, and muscle health with calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine, and chondroitin.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids work with vitamin A for a healthy coat, skin, and eye.
- It comes in a smaller kibble for your Poodle’s small muzzle.
- It uses wholesome grains for energy and proper physical activities.
- It is fortified with taurine, antioxidants, and probiotics for cardiac, immune, and digestive wellness.
Wellness Core Dry Formula is best for dogs with grain allergies and stomach sensitivities. The daily portions depend on your Poodle’s weight. Poodles weighing 2-4 lbs need ¼ to ½ cups, and those weighing 5-8 lbs need ½ to ¾ cup. Weights ranging from 9-25 lbs do well with ¾ to 1 ¾ cups. A 12-lbs bag costs $44.98.
Give your Poodle a hearty treat with Nutro Hearty Formula by the Nutro Company.
The first production date is February 2nd, 2015, and it targets large breeds. The primary ingredients include Chicken, Pork Broth, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, and Carrots.
- The 9% protein value, the 3% fat value, and the calorie content of 279 Kcal/can promote the growth and development of a lean muscle mass and boost your highly active Poodle’s energy levels.
- The high water content of 82% supports digestion, hydrates your dog, and helps remove toxins.
- It features a tasty gravy to massage your picky eater’s taste buds.
- It has no corn, wheat, or soy to lower the risks of sensitivities and allergies.
- It is crafted with ingredients from trusted farmers and suppliers.
- Carrots are excellent sources of beta-carotene for skin and vision wellness, and peas provide fiber for bowel and gut health.
Nutro Hearty Formula is perfect for dogs with grain allergies. Give ½ to ¾ cans daily for every 10 lbs of body weight. You can adjust these amounts to meet your dog’s ideal weight. Serve at room temperature and refrigerate unused portions for up to 3 days. A 12-pack of 12.5-oz cans costs $34.68.
Tantalize your Poodle’s taste buds with the Wellness Complete Health Formula from Wellness. The first production date is October 2nd, 2001, targeting large and giant breeds.
The main ingredients include Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Ground Brown Rice, and Salmon Meal.
- The 29% protein content, 13% fat value, and 367 Kcal/cup calorie content are important for lean muscle mass and sufficient energy levels.
- Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids create a protective barrier over your Poodle’s body to keep the coat and skin healthy.
- Consuming this meal promotes cognitive health and strong bones and muscles with DHA, calcium, and phosphorus.
- Vitamin A and E are essential for vision and immune wellness, while taurine is responsible for a healthy heart.
- It has no GMOs, fillers, meat by-products, or artificial preservatives to lower the probability of allergies.
- It uses wholesome grains for high-quality fiber to support digestion.
- Antioxidants and probiotics work together for your puppy’s overall well-being.
The Wellness Complete Health Formula is best for dogs with sensitive tummies. Puppies weighing 10 lbs need 2 ⅛ cups from 6-11 weeks old and 2 cups from 3-4 months old. 1 ¾ cups from 5-7 months old, and 1 ¼ cups from 8-12 months. A 30-lbs bag costs $66.98.
Give your dog balanced nutrition with Eukanuba Large Breed Formula from Royal Canin.
The first production date is February 8th, 2016, and it targets large and giant breeds. The primary ingredients include Lamb, Brewers Rice, Chicken By-Product Meal, Wheat, and Corn.
- Real lamb is the number one ingredient for high-quality proteins ( 22.5%) for healthy muscles.
- The moderate fat and calorie content values are perfect for your large breed dog, as they boost its energy levels and lower the risks of obesity.
- Chondroitin and glucosamine promote joint wellness, while vitamin E supports immunity and protects your dog against free radicals that cause inflammation.
- DHA keeps your dog sharp and enhances focus and trainability levels.
- The optimal levels of carbohydrates fuel your dog’s active lifestyle.
The Eukanuba Large Breed Formula is ideal for dogs that can tolerate grains. The daily feeding depends on your Poodle’s weight. Poodles weighing 50 lbs need 2 ½ to 2 ¾ cups, and those weighing 60 lbs need 2 ¾ to 3 cups. Weight ranging from 70-100 lbs needs a range of 3 to 4 ¼ cups. A 4-day transition period reduces the probability of digestive problems. For picky eaters, you can add a little warm water for flavor. A 30-lbs bag costs $67.69.
Awaken the beast in your Poodle with Blue Buffalo Homestyle Formula from Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd. this delicacy first came into the market on June 2nd, 2015, and it targets all dog breeds.
The key ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Carrots, and Peas.
- The protein value of 8.5%, the fat value of 5.5%, and the caloric content of 451 Kcal/cup support muscle power and energize your Poodle.
- This diet can be served as a standalone meal or a treat, and it can be mixed with other food.
- Consuming Blue Buffalo Homestyle Formula hydrates, detoxifies, and promotes digestion with a high moisture value of 78%.
- It is crafted with blueberries and cranberries for powerful antioxidants to protect your dog against cellular damage resulting from free radicals.
- Chelated minerals ensure maximum absorption of important nutrients, while fiber from wholesome sources like sweet potatoes boosts gut and bowel health.
- Carrots provide beta-carotene for skin and vision health, while flaxseed is an excellent source of fatty acids for smooth skin and coat.
Blue Buffalo Homestyle Formula is ideal for dogs with sensitivities and those that can tolerate grains. Serve ¾ to 1 can for every 10 lbs of body weight daily. A 12-pack of 12.5-ounce cans costs $27.
Tantalize your Poodle’s taste buds with the Instinct Raw Boost Formula from Nature’s Variety.
The first production date is November 4th, 2014, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Beef, White Fish Meal, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, and Peas.
- Beef is the number one ingredient for high-quality proteins ( 35%) for strong and lean muscles.
- The fat value of 21% and caloric content of 499 Kcal/cup ensure your Poodle is active throughout the day.
- It includes high-value omegas for healthy skin, powerful antioxidants to boost immunity, and a probiotic boost for digestive health.
- It is free from grains, wheat, corn, soy, by-product meals, and artificial colors and flavors.
- This tangy meal is crafted in the USA using the best ingredients from around the globe.
Instinct Raw Boost Formula is suitable for dogs with grain allergies and sensitive tummies. The daily intake depends on your dog’s weight. Poodles weighing 5-15 lbs need ½ to 1 cup for weight maintenance and ¼ to ½ cup for weight loss. Poodles with weights ranging from 16-100 lbs need 1 to 4 cups for weight maintenance and ¾ to 2 ½ cups for weight loss. A bag weighing 20 lbs costs $75.41.
What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Poodles?
Here are the facts you should know about the best dog foods for Poodles:
- The best foods for Poodles are those with high-quality proteins from identifiable sources. Poodles need lots of proteins for their muscle wellness. Go for food with real meat as the number one ingredient. The more meat sources, the better for your Poodle.
- Poodles have a curly coat. To maintain their coat appearance, the best foods for Poodles should have fatty acids. Vitamin A is a bonus as it also supports skin and coat wellness.
- Poodles are high-energy dogs. They need foods with high caloric and fat value to provide sufficient energy for their active lives. Ensure the fats are from healthy sources. Some healthy sources of fat include salmon oil, flaxseed, and chicken fat. Fats also add flavor to your picky eater, Poodle.
- Senior Poodles are prone to obesity, and their best food should have less fat and caloric values.
- The best foods for Poodles should have moderate carbs to boost their energy levels. Wholesome sources of carbs like sweet potatoes are low-glycemic and absorbed into the body slowly for an energetic dog throughout the day. Simple carbs like corn burn relatively fast and are hard to digest.
What are the best dog foods for Poodles with different health conditions?
Best Dog Food for Poodles with Pancreatitis:
- American Journey Chicken & Sweet Potato Healthy Weight Dry Food: Pancreatic Poodles need a low-fat diet to ensure the pancreas does not overwork. American Journey Healthy Formula has a 10% fat value, hence suitable for your Poodle. The high protein content of 30% supports muscle power.
Best Dog Food for Poodles with Allergies
- Canidae Pure Premium Adult Limited Ingredient Dry Food: This recipe is suitable for your allergic Poodle as it has fewer ingredients. In addition, it has probiotics to support a healthy digestive system and lower the risk of stomach problems.
What are the best dogs with different ingredients for Poodles?
Best Dog Food with Pumpkin for Poodles
- Purina Beyond Natural Dry Food with Salmon, Egg, & Pumpkin: Pumpkin provides high-quality fiber for digestive wellness. The main ingredients include Salmon, Rice, Whole Barley, Chicken Meal, and Whole Oat Meal. The high-value protein boosts your Poodle’s muscle power, while antioxidants promote immunity.
Best Dog Food without Chicken for Poodles
- ZiwiPeak Canned Dog Food Lamb Recipe: ZiwiPeak Formula is great for Poodles that cannot tolerate chicken. Lamb is the only source of protein for strong and thick muscles. This diet is free from grains and has no added carbs and fillers to lower the risk of allergies and obesity.
What Different Dog Breeds Can Eat Poodles?
Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs
- Nutro Natural Choice Chicken & Brown Rice Puppy Formula: Real chicken is the first ingredient for premium proteins to support your Frenchie’s muscles. It has DHA for brain and vision wellness. Calcium and antioxidants support bone and immune health.
Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Royal Canin Health Nutrition Breed Shih Tzu Adult Dry Food: This formula is crafted specifically for your Shih Tzu. The small kibble is perfect for your dog’s small muzzle while DHA, EPA, and vitamin A support skin, coat, brain, and vision health.
Best Dog Food for Yorkies
- Castor & Pollux PRISTINE Small Breed Grain-Free Canned Food: Free-range chicken is the number one ingredient for strong and thick muscles. Real organic spinach, carrots, and apples are excellent sources of fiber and antioxidants for digestive health and improved immunity.
What are the Best Dog Foods for Poodles according to Size?
Best Dog Food for Small-Sized Poodles
- Royal Canin Health Nutrition Breed Poodle Adult Dry Food: This recipe is perfect for your toy Poodle. The kibble is specially designed for easy picking and chewing. It is rich in omegas for smooth skin and a shiny coat. The precise protein content tones your dog’s muscles for an admirable physical appearance.
Best Dog Food for Medium-Sized Poodles
- Hill’s Science Diet Small & Mini Wet Dog Food: This meal suits your medium Poodle as it supports brain health and provides energy for daily physical activities. The ingredients used are easy to digest for smooth digestion and lower the risk of tummy upsets. The high moisture value boosts digestion and removes toxins from the body.
Best Dog Food for Large Poodles
- Merrick Real Texas Grain-Free Beef + Sweet Potato Dry Food: Real beef provides high-value proteins for muscle health, while sweet potatoes are the best sources of high-quality fiber for gut and bowel health. This food has fatty acids for skin and coat health and chondroitin and glucosamine for joint health.