11 Best Dog Foods for Pomeranians
Pomeranians are cute, cuddly, and fun toy breeds. They have a fast metabolism due to their small size. Dog food for Pomeranians is those that meet their nutritional and health requirements. The best food for Pomeranians should have high amounts of proteins for building muscle tissues and repairing cells. The proteins should come from real meat sources.
Pomeranians have a fast metabolism. This calls for foods that are calorie-dense and with moderate to high-fat value. Pomeranians cannot consume large amounts of food; hence their best foods should have many concentrated micronutrients.
These cute dogs are also susceptible to some health conditions, and choosing the best diet lowers these risks. Pomeranians are prone to patellar luxation; hence their best food must have cartilage-friendly supplements, including glucosamine, chondroitin, calcium, and phosphorus. In addition, Pomeranians are exposed to dermatitis and hence need foods with lots of omegas and vitamin A.
In addition, Pomeranians are susceptible to food allergies; choosing a limited ingredient diet free from fillers lowers the risk of allergies. Last but not least, Pomeranians are predisposed to eye problems and hypoglycemia (low sugar levels). They, therefore, need foods with vitamin A and highly-digestible proteins for energy.
Selecting the best food for Pomeranians can be challenging. However, it helps reduce the risks of allergies, digestive problems, and obesity.
What are the top 5 brands of the best dog food for Pomeranian
Here’s a list of the top brands for your Pomeranian Food:
- Royal Canin
- Solid Gold
- Blue Buffalo
- Hill’s Science.
The average price is $31.94, ranging from $17.99 to $49.98 for bags weighing 4 – 15.5 lbs. Your dog’s breed and life stage determine the type of food to serve. Below is a list of the top five dog Foods for Pomeranians:
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Best for Puppies
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Best for Sensitive Stomach
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Note: The prices in this article are as of 13th April 2022.
View Table of Contents
- Best Overall 1. Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food
- Best Value 2. Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Dry Dog Food
- Best for Puppies 3. Blue Buffalo Grain Free Freedom Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food
- Best for Sensitive Dogs 4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
- Best for Joint Health 5. Wellness Toy Breed Complete Health Dry Dog Food
- 6. Solid Gold – Wee Bit With Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley Dry Dog Food
- 7. Nutro Ultra Toy Breed Dry Dog Food
- 8. Solid Gold Mighty Mini Wet Dog Food
- 9. FirstMate Small Bites Australian Lamb Meal Formula LID Dry Food
- 10. Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 11. Holistic Select Small & Mini Breed Adult Anchovy, Sardine & Chicken Meal Recipe Dry Dog Food
- What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Pomeranians?
1. Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food
Give your Pomeranian the royalty it deserves with Royal Canin Size Formula from Royal Canin. The first production date is February 2nd, 2012, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds.
The main ingredients include Brewers Rice, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Chicken Fat, and Corn Gluten Meal.
- The high-quality proteins (22%) are great for building your Pomeranian muscle tissues and repairing the cells.
- This diet has 369 calories per cup and a 16% fat value for your Pomeranian fast metabolism.
- It is specially formulated for miniature and toy breeds aged 10 months up to 8 years, with an expected adult weight of 8 pounds.
- Consuming this meal gives your Pomeranian healthy skin and a shiny coat with EPA and DHA.
- The highly-digestible proteins blend with the high-quality dietary fiber for digestive wellness.
- Royal Canin comes in a small kibble for your dog’s mouth. A small kibble also lowers the risks of dental problems as it removes plaques while your dog is chewing.
Royal Canin Size Formula is best for dogs that can tolerate grains. The daily portions depend on your Pomeranian’s weight and activity levels. Pomeranians weighing 4.4 lbs need ⅜ cups for low activity and ½ cups for medium and high activity. A 14-lbs bag costs $44.63.
2. Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Dry Dog Food
Give your Pom the best nutrition with Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Formula by Royal Canin. The first production date is December 2nd, 2011, and it targets all dog breeds.
It features Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn, Wheat, and Chicken Fat.
- The premium protein (25%) from real chicken supports muscle wellness, while the fat value of 16% and calorie content of 383 Kcal/cup boost your Pom’s stamina.
- It has chondroitin and glucosamine for healthy joints and lower risks of patellar luxation.
- DHA and vitamin E promote brain health for improved concentration and trainability.
- It is crafted with wholesome carbohydrates to provide energy and reduce the probability of hypoglycemia.
- Fiber and prebiotics blend for a healthy digestive system.
The Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Formula is perfect for dogs that can tolerate grains. Your Pomeranian’s weight dictates the daily amounts. For example, Poms weighing 3 lbs need ⅜ to ½ cups, and those weighing 10 lbs need ¾ to 1 cup. Introduce Eukanuba gradually over 4 days. Mix 25% of Eukanuba with your Pom’s old food and increase these amounts gradually. On the 4th day, give your dog 100% of Eukanuba. A 16-lb bag costs $40.49.
Best for Puppies
3. Blue Buffalo Grain Free Freedom Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food
Awaken the wolf in your Pom with Blue Buffalo Formula by Blue Buffalo Company Ltd. the first production date is June 4th, 2017, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds.
The major ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Peas, Chicken Meal, Pea Starch, and Turkey Meal.
- The premium protein (30%) from real chicken is perfect for the growth and development of your puppy’s muscles.
- Each cup has 434 calories, which work together with the 18% fat value to support your dog’s fast metabolism.
- Poms are prone to patellar luxation, and this diet comes in handy with calcium and phosphorus for bone health.
- Consuming this recipe gives your pom dazzling skin with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids. DHA and ARA also support your puppy’s brain development and vision health.
- It is free from grains and gluten for sensitive dogs.
- It is crafted with an optimal blend of carbs to lower the risks of hypoglycemia.
Blue Buffalo Formula suits dogs with grain allergies or sensitive tummies. The daily intake varies depending on your Pom’s weight and age. For example, Poms weighing 9-14 lbs need 1 ¼-2 cups at 1-3 months and 1 -1 ½ cups at 3-5 months. An 11-lb bag costs $34.98.
Best for Sensitive Dogs
4. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
Unleash your Pom’s maximum potential with Hill’s Science Adult Formula by Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc. the first production date is May 15th, 2010, and it targets all dog breeds.
The major ingredients include Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Yellow Peas, and Cracked Pearled Barley.
- The 20% protein, 13% fat, and calorie value of 382 Kcal/cup support your dog’s muscle wellness and ensure your Pom is active throughout the day.
- It has prebiotic fiber from beet pulp to support your dog’s gut health.
- This formula is highly digestible for maximum nutrient absorption and lower risks of tummy upsets.
- Vitamin C and E enhance your dog’s immunity and prevent oxidative damage.
- Omega-6 fatty acids and beta-carotene are great for skin and vision wellness.
Hill’s Science Adult Formula is best for sensitive digestion and dogs that can tolerate grains. The daily portions vary depending on your dog’s weight. Poms weighing 5 lbs need ½ cup and those weighing 10 lbs need ⅞ cup. A gradual transition of 7 days is crucial as it lowers the risks of tummy upsets. Start with small amounts of Hill’s Science and increase the portions slowly. A 15.5-lb bag costs $43.99.
Best for Joint Health
5. Wellness Toy Breed Complete Health Dry Dog Food
Give your Pom’s overall wellness with Wellness Toy Breed Formula by WellPet LLC. The first manufacturing date is May 11th, 2013, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds.
It features Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Ground Brown Rice, and Oatmeal.
- Deboned chicken is an excellent source of high-quality proteins of 30% of lean muscle mass.
- The 17% fat value and calorie content of 462 Kcal/cup are suitable for your energetic Pomeranian.
- This recipe promotes immunity and protects your dog from free radicals with vitamin C, vitamin E, and other powerful antioxidants.
- Glucosamine, chondroitin, calcium, and phosphorus work together for your dog’s joint and bone wellness and reduce the probability of patellar luxation.
- Vitamin A blends with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids to lower the frequency of shedding and vision problems.
- It comes in a smaller kibble for easier chewing. The kibble size also supports dental wellness by removing plagues as our dog chews.
Wellness Toy Breed Formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive digestion. However, it is not suitable for those with grain allergies. Pomeranians weighing 1-3 lbs need ⅛ to ¼ cups, while those weighing 4-6 lbs need ⅓ to ½ cups. A 4-lbs bag costs $19.98.
Give your Pomeranian a solid body with Solid Gold – Wee Bit Formula by Solid Gold Pet LLC.
The first production date is September 30th, 2004, and it targets small, extra small, and toy breeds. The key ingredients include Bison, Ocean Fish Meal, Oatmeal, Peas, and Chicken Fat.
- Solid Gold -Wee Bit formula has a protein value of 28% for a muscular Pomeranian.
- The fat value of 18% and calorie content of 420 Kcal/cup provide sufficient energy for your active Pomeranian.
- This meal features probiotics for gut wellness.
- Pumpkin, carrots, and broccoli are excellent sources of fiber and vitamin A for smooth digestion, skin health, and reduced rates of eye problems. In addition, cranberries and blueberries provide antioxidants to protect your Pom from oxidative damage and enhance immunity.
- It is free from common allergens like wheat, soy, and corn for your sensitive Pom.
- It comes in a convenient bite-sized kibble for your Pom’s mouth.
Solid Gold – Wee Bit Formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies and those that can tolerate grains. The daily consumption depends on your dog’s weight. For example, Poms weighing 16-30 lbs need 1 ¼ to 2 cups daily. A 12-lbs bag costs $38.99.
Tantalize your Pom’s taste buds with Nutro Ultra Dry Formula by The Nutro Company. The initial production date is February 24th, 2012, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds.
This meal features Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Sorghum, Whole Grain Oats, and Whole Grain Brown Rice.
- It features a high percentage of proteins (28%) from chicken, lamb, and salmon for strong and healthy muscles.
- Each cup has 433 calories for your Pom’s fast metabolism. The fat value of 19% also supplies energy for your dog’s stamina.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids work together with vitamin A to support your dog’s skin health. Vitamin A also reduces the risks of eye problems, as Poms are prone to vision issues.
- This recipe is also enhanced with calcium and phosphorus for reduced risks of patellar luxation and strong bones.
- Kale and blueberries are the best sources of fiber and antioxidants for digestive health and improved immunity.
Nutro Ultra Dry Formula is best for Poms with sensitive stomachs and those that can tolerate grains. The daily intake varies depending on your Pom’s weight. Poms weighing 3, 5, 8, and 10 lbs need ¼, ⅓, ½, and ⅔ cups, respectively. A 4-lb bag costs $17.99.
Boost your dog’s appearance with Solid Gold Wet Formula by Solid Gold Pet LLC. The initial manufacturing date is March 14th, 2016, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds.
The main ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Broth, Water Sufficient for Processing, Chicken Liver, and Dried Egg Whites.
- The protein value of 7.5%, fat value of 3%, and calorie value of 91 kcal/can fuel your dog’s muscles and boost stamina.
- The high moisture value (82%) hydrates your dog, removes toxins, and promotes digestion.
- Single-serve cups ensure you give the right amounts.
- This recipe is crafted with pumpkin, an excellent source of soluble fiber to support digestive health.
- It is free from gluten, grains, wheat, corn, and soy.
Solid Gold Wet Formula is suitable for pups with grain allergies and stomach sensitivities. Give 3-4 bowls for every 10 lbs of body weight daily. These amounts may change depending on your dog’s activity level, age, breed, and environment. For puppies, give up to 2 times the adult amount. Serve at room temperature and keep refrigerated after opening. A 3.5-oz cup, case of 12, costs $19.51.
Give your Pom a balanced diet with FirstMate Small Bites Formula by FirstMate. The first production date is January 12th, 2009, and it targets extra small, small, and toy breeds.
It features Lamb Meal, Burbank Potato, Norkotah Potato, Chicken Fat, and Tomato Pomace as the main ingredients.
- The 24% protein value boosts muscle power, while the fat value of 13% and calorie content of 505 Kcal/cup ensure your Pom stays active throughout the day.
- Calcium, phosphorus, and glucosamine promote cartilage wellness and reduce the risks of patellar luxation.
- Poms are prone to food allergies, and this meal is a great hypoallergenic diet with a single source of protein and no chicken.
- The kibble suits your toy Pomeranian as it comes in small bites.
- This recipe is free from grains and gluten and has no antibiotics or hormones.
- Blueberries, raspberries, and cranberries improve palatability, protect dogs from free radicals that cause cancer, and provide dietary fiber for digestion.
FirstMate Small Bites Formula is best for dogs with sensitive digestion and grain allergies. Poma weighing 2-5 lbs need ⅛ to ¼ cups daily. Introduce FirstMate gradually for 7 days. A 14.5-lb bag costs $49.81.
Massage your dog’s wild nature with the Taste of the Wild Formula by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc.
The initial production date is September 13th, 2015, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds. The primary ingredients include Venison, Lamb Meal, Garbanzo Beans, Peas, and Lentils.
- Venison provides a high-quality value of 32% for lean muscle mass. Each cup has 422 calories, which combine with the fat value of 18% for your dog’s energy needs.
- Raspberries and blueberries are excellent sources of antioxidants that blend with vitamin E for improved immunity.
- Consuming this formula gives your dog a smooth coat with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids and supports cardiac wellness with taurine.
- It includes probiotics and prebiotics for gut and bowel health.
- Chelated minerals ensure maximum absorption of essential nutrients for your dog’s overall well-being.
Taste of the Wild Formula is ideal for pups with grain allergies. The daily feeding depends on your Pom’s weight. For example, Pomeranians weighing 3 lbs need ⅓ cups, and those weighing 5 lbs need ½ cups. When switching to the Taste of the Wild, a gradual transition period of 7-10 days is perfect. A 5-lbs bag costs $17.99.
Give your dog the best nutrition with the Holistic Select Formula by Eagle Pack & Holistic. The first manufacturing date is August 7th, 2017, and it targets small, extra small, and toy breeds.
The key ingredients include Anchovy and Sardine Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, Chickpeas, and Chicken Fat.
- The premium protein value of 35% promotes muscle wellness, while the fat value of 16% and calorie content of 481 Kcal/cup boost your dog’s stamina.
- Vitamin A blends with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids for vision and skin wellness.
- Calcium and phosphorus are responsible for strong bones and muscles, while taurine supports cardiovascular health. Glucosamine also supports cartilage wellness.
- This recipe is designed to please your pup’s palate, thus delighting even the finicky eaters.
- It contains digestive enzymes to break down proteins, cellulose, and starch.
- It includes dietary fiber for smooth digestion and maintenance of a healthy weight.
The Holistic Select Formula is best for pups with sensitive digestion and grain allergies. Poms weighing 4-6 lbs need ¼ to ⅜ cup for less activity, ⅜ to ½ cup for medium activity, and ½ to ⅝ for high activity. A 4-lb bag costs $22.99.
What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Pomeranians?
Below are the facts to know about the best dog foods for Pomeranians:
- Pomeranians need foods with high protein content for muscle wellness, moderate to high-fat value for their fast metabolism, and high-calorie content for sufficient energy.
- Pomeranians are prone to dermatitis and hence need foods that support skin wellness. These include foods that have omega fatty acids. Look for high-quality sources of omegas. These sources include salmon oil and flaxseed. Foods with lots of water are also a plus since water moisturizes the skin. For dry food, ensure your dog can easily access water.
- Poms are susceptible to eye problems. This calls for food with eye-friendly nutrients like vitamin A. Foods crafted with carrots are good for the eyes. Carrots have beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A.
- Poms do not store sufficient glycogen. This exposes them to hypoglycemia(low blood sugar). To lower the risks of hypoglycemia, feed your Pom foods with highly-digestible carbohydrates for energy.
- Poms are also predisposed to patellar luxation and need food with calcium, phosphorus, glucosamine, or chondroitin for bone and joint health. Chicken meals and salmon meals are excellent sources of glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Pomeranians have food allergies. A limited-ingredients diet with no wheat, corn, or soy lowers the risk of allergies.
What are the best dog foods for Pomeranians with different health conditions?
Best Dog Food for Pomeranians with pancreatitis
- American Journey Chicken & Sweet Potato Healthy Weight Dry Food: Your pancreatic Pom needs foods with less fat, and this recipe is perfect as it contains a fat value of 10% and calorie content of 337 Kcal/cup. The natural sources of fiber help dogs feel full for longer to reduce the risk of obesity.
Best Dog Food for Pomeranians with Allergies
- Zignature Kangaroo Grain-Free Limited Ingredient Dry Food: This formula is crafted with a single protein source and fewer ingredients to lower the risks of allergies. It also makes it easier to identify an allergen. It also includes antioxidant-rich, high-fiber, low-glycemic carbs.
What are the best dogs with different ingredients for Pomeranians?
Best dog food with carrots for Pomeranians
- Wellness Grain-Free Beef Stew with Carrots & Potatoes Canned Food: Poms are prone to eye problems. Carrots are excellent sources of vitamin A for proper eyesight. Beef is the first ingredient for strong muscles. The high water content hydrates your dog.
Best Dog Food with Pumpkin for Pomeranians
- Evanger’s Chicken with Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Grain-Free Dry Food: Pumpkin is a great source of fiber to support digestion and lower the risks of obesity. Fresh chicken is the number one ingredient for amino acids to boost muscle wellness.
What Different Dog Breeds Eat Pomeranian Food?
Best Dog Food for French Bulldog
- Royal Canin Health Nutrition French Bulldog Puppy Dry Food: It is packed with high-digestible proteins, high-fiber, and quality carbohydrates for muscle and digestive health and the provision of sufficient energy for your Frenchie. The powerful antioxidants protect dogs against free radicals that cause cancer.
Best Dog Food for Shih Tzus
- Royal Canin Health Nutrition Shih Tzu Puppy Dry Food This formula is crafted specifically for your Shih Tzu puppy. The specialized kibble is perfect for your Shih Tzu’s small muzzle. It lowers stool odor with high-quality proteins and prebiotics.
Best Dog Food for Dachshunds
- Orijen Original Grain-Free Dry Food: The primary ingredients are always raw or fresh to delight your Dachshund’s instincts. The high-value protein of 38% supports lean muscle mass, while the fat value of 18% and calorie content of 473 Kcal/cup boost stamina.
What are the Best Dog Foods for Pomeranians according to Size?
Best Dog Food for Small-Sized Pomeranians
- Merrick Classic Small Breed Healthy Grains Dry Food: This recipe features real deboned chicken as the number one ingredient for your small Pom’s muscle wellness. It is also packed with omegas for smooth and shiny skin. Chondroitin and glucosamine support joint health.
Best Dog Food for Medium-Sized Pomeranians
- Acana Grain-Free Dry Food uses fresh and raw ingredients to appeal to your Pom’s instincts. It is rich in protein and high-quality fiber to maintain muscle tissues, smooth digestion, and maintain ideal body weight.
Best Dog Food For Large Pomeranians
- Now Fresh Large Breed Grain-Free Dry Food: Moderate protein and fat values promote a healthy weight to lower the risk of heart and joint problems. In addition, L-carnitine breaks down fat into useful energy and supports heart wellness. The premium ingredients are cooked over low temperatures to retain all the nutrients for your Pom’s overall health. It is also best for joint and hip health with chondroitin.