25 Best Dog Foods for Picky Eaters
Mealtimes are always challenging when you have a picky eater. The best dog food for picky eaters should be tasty and richly flavored. Freeze-drying and dehydrating add flavor to your dog’s food.
Picky eaters are attracted to real meat as it appeals to their wild nature. The best food for picky eaters should have real meat as the number one ingredient. Fats also enhance taste, so the best dog food for picky eaters should be rich in healthy fats.
But you should be careful as too much fat can cause obesity and pancreatitis. In addition, tasty fruits and vegetables enhance taste, so the best food for picky eaters should be crafted with real fruits and vegetables. Choosing the right format ensures that picky eaters get the maximum health and nutritional benefits.
The right format also supports digestion and lowers the risk of allergic reactions and unhealthy weight gain. The top five brands for the best food for picky eaters are Blue Buffalo, Stella & Chewy’s, Orijen, American Journey, and Wellness Core. The average price is $45, ranging from $40 to $90.
The right food for picky eaters depends on the breed type and life stage. Here are the top five best foods for picky eaters:
- The best overall dog food: Orijen Dry Dog Food– $90.99 for a 25 pounds bag
- The best price effective dog food: Rachel Ray Nutrish premium Dry Food– $47.98 for a 40 pounds bag
- The best Freeze-Dried Food: Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers Raw Dog Food– $40.99 for an 18-oz bag
- The best grain-free Dog Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Grain-free– $63.63 for a 24 pounds bag
- The best dog food for a sensitive stomach: Nulo Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food– $79.99 for a 24 pounds bag
View Table of Contents
- 1. Blue Buffalo – Wilderness Chicken Grain-Free
- 2. Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers Raw Dog Food
- 3. Orijen Dry Dog Food
- 4. Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dry Dog Food
- 5. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 6. Nulo Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- 7. American Journey Active Life Formula Salmon, Brown Rice & Vegetables Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 8. Fromm Family Foods 727520 Gold Nutritionals Adult 33 Lb Dry Dog Food
- 9. Wellness 95% Chicken Grain-Free Canned Wet Dog Food
- 10. Rachael Ray Nutrish Dish Natural Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 11. Crave Protein from Chicken Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- 12. Instinct Nature’s Variety Original Real Chicken Grain-Free Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 13. Ollie Hearty Beef Eats Fresh Dog Food
- 14. Nom Nom Chicken Fresh Dog Food
- 15. Instinct Raw Boost Raw Dog Food
- 16. Taste of the Wild Salmon Dry Dog Food
- 17. Hill’s Science Diet Dry Dog Food
- 18. Lucy Pet Formulas For Life Dry Dog Food
- 19. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dog Food Dry Dog Food
- 20. Four Star Picky Eater Dry Dog Food
- 21. Nutro Ultra Picky Eater Wet Food for Dogs
- 22. Savor Shredded Blend Beef and Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
- 23. Savor Wet Dog Food for Picky Eaters
- 24. Solid Gold Mighty Dry Dog Food
- 25. Blue Basics Limited Ingredient Diet Grain-Free Wet Dog Food
- What facts should you know about dog food for picky eaters?
This high-protein meal is a product of Blue Buffalo Company Limited.
The first production date is July 20th, 2011, and it targets all dog breeds. The primary ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, and Tapioca Starch with a 409 Kcal/cup calorie value. The protein value of 34% boosts muscle power while the fat value of 15% adds flavor to the food making it attractive for picky eaters. The fiber and moisture values are 6% and 10%, respectively.
This meal strengthens your dog’s bones with calcium and phosphorus. Glucosamine boosts cartilage health while omega fatty acids promote your dog’s physical appearance. This recipe is also good for the heart with L-carnitine and taurine. Yucca schidigera and chelated minerals reduce stool smell and promote proper absorption of essential nutrients.
It is crafted with wholesome carbs like sweet potatoes and potatoes for high-quality fiber to boost digestive health and has antioxidants for the immune system. Dogs weighing up to 15 lbs need ½ to 1 ¼ cups daily, while those weighing 16-25 lbs require 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ cups. This recipe is free from grains, wheat, and corn, thus suitable for dogs with sensitive stomachs and grain allergies.
If you are looking for a perfect snack that will make your picky eater ask for more, then this meal by Stella & Chewy’s Pet Food Company is your best choice.
The first production date is August 26th, 2014. The primary ingredients are Chicken with Ground Bone, Chicken Liver, Chicken Gizzard, Pumpkin Seed, Organic Cranberries, and Organic Spinach.
The calorie value is 50 Kcal/1/4 cup, and the protein value is 48% for thick muscles. The fat, fiber, and moisture values are 28%, 5%, and 5%. This meal is best for picky eaters as it is freeze-dried for a rich flavor. It is also crafted from organic fruits and has a high value to enhance flavor.
It is good for cardiovascular health as it has taurine. It also boosts your dog’s immunity with antioxidants. The daily consumption depends on your pooch’s size, with small dogs needing one scoop while medium and large dogs need two and three scoops, respectively. You can serve as a standalone meal or add to kibble for more flavor to entice your picky eater.
This meal suits dogs with grain allergies. You should be cautious while serving as too much can lead to obesity due to the high-fat content.
This meal from Champion Pet Food company is suitable for your picky eater as the first five ingredients are fresh or raw animal proteins to tingle your dog’s taste buds.
In addition, it is freeze-dried coated for a burst of raw flavor, thus irresistible for selective feeders. This formula has a production date of March 15th, 2019, and targets all dog breeds. The primary ingredients are Chicken, Turkey, Flounder, Whole Mackerel, and Chicken Liver with a caloric value of 473 Kcal/cup to boost stamina. The protein value of 38% supports muscle health, while the fat value of 18% adds to the flavor to attract picky eaters.
The fiber and moisture values are 45 and 12%, respectively. This meal is crafted with dehydrated ingredients to make the food tastier. This delicacy promotes vision and heart health with DHA and joint health with glucosamine and chondroitin. Consuming this food also boosts skin and bone health as it contains omega fatty acids, calcium, and phosphorus.
Less active dogs weighing 5-15 pounds need ¼ to ⅔ cups while the active ones require ½ to 1 cup per day. This meal suits dogs with sensitive tummies as it is free from wheat, corn, and soy.
This premium food by Big Heart Pet Brands, with a production date of September 20th, 2013, is an excellent choice for picky eaters as it features real chicken as the number one ingredient.
Other ingredients include Chicken Meal, Soybean Meal, Grain SOrghum, and Dried Peas. The meal has 340 calories per cup with a protein content of 25% and a fat value of 14%. The fiber and moisture values are 4% and 10% respectively.
Consuming this recipe gives dogs a shiny coat and smooth skin with omega fatty acids. It also supports strong bones with calcium and phosphorus. Dietary fiber and taurine are responsible for digestive and cardiovascular health. It is free from fillers, thus suitable for dogs with sensitivities. Puppies can start eating this meal from3-4 weeks.
The feeding guidelines depend on your dog’s poundage, with dogs weighing 3-12 pounds needing ½ to 1 ¼ cups daily while those weighing 12-25 pounds need 1 ¼ to 2 cups. Depending on your dog’s activity levels and health condition, you can adjust these portions. You can also consult the vet for guidance on the right amounts for your pooch. This meal has grains hence not safe for dogs with grain allergies.
Wellness Natural Pet Food is the manufacturer of this tasty meal.
The production date is October 2nd, 2001, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients are Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Peas, and Dried Ground Potatoes. One cup has 417 calories to boost energy, while the protein value of 34% promotes muscle power. The fat, fiber, and moisture contents are 16%, 4%, and 10%.
This formula has glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints and yucca schidigera to reduce the unpleasant fecal smell. It is also a good choice for the bones with calcium and phosphorus. Antioxidants, taurine, and beta-carotene support the immune, heart, and vision health, while omega fatty acids boost skin and coat health.
The daily consumption varies depending on your dog’s weight, with dogs weighing 6-10 lbs requiring ¼ to 1 ¼ cups while those weighing 20-35 lbs need 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ cups. Dogs with weights ranging from 35-115 lbs need 1 ¾ to 4 ¼ cups. If feeding with wet food, reduce the amounts by ½ cups for every 6-oz of wet food. This meal has no grain, gluten, wheat, corn, or soy hence suitable for dogs with tummy sensitivities and grain allergies.
Are you tired of your dog’s pickiness? Then you should try this superfood from Nulo Pet food Company.
It appeals to picky eaters as it has fewer ingredients and is richly flavored. The first production date is July 30th, 2017, and it targets all dog breeds. The first five ingredients are Deboned Salmon, salmon Meal, Chickpeas, Chickpea Flour, and Canola oil.
The caloric value is 438 Kcal/cup to boost energy levels, while the protein value is 30% for a lean muscle mass. The fat value of 18% adds flavor to the food to tempt your selective eater. The fiber and moisture values are 5.5% and 10%. Serving this meal supports neural and eye health with DHA. It also boosts coat, skin, and bone wellness with omega fatty acids, calcium, and phosphorus.
In addition, this formula is low in carbs to support a healthy weight. It is low glycemic, hence safe for dogs with diabetes. Probiotics are responsible for gut health, while antioxidants protect from oxidative damage.
The feeding directions depend on your dog’s weight with dogs weighing up to 15 lbs requiring ½ to 1 cup daily while those weighing 16-25 lbs need 1 to 1 ½ cups.
Chewy manufactures this highly-flavored meal that attracts picky feeders.
The first five ingredients are Deboned Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, and Rice Bran, with a caloric value of 345 Kcal/cup to keep dogs active throughout the day. The protein, fat, fiber, and moisture values are 25%, 15%, 6%, and 10% respectively.
High-quality proteins from salmon provide amino acids, the building blocks of strong muscles. It has taurine and DHA for a healthy heart, brain, and eye. It is also fortified with calcium and phosphorus to strengthen your pooch’s bones and teeth. Omega fatty acids and antioxidants are responsible for a good physical appearance and proper immunity.
It is also crafted with highly-digestible fiber for digestive health. The recommended portions per day depend on your dog’s poundage, with dogs weighing 3-6 pounds needing ½ to ⅔ cups while those weighing 6-10 pounds need ⅔ to 1 cup. Puppies need 2-3 times the adult portions while lactating dogs thrive well with free-feeding. Transition your dog gradually for 7-10 days to lower the risks of adverse reaction and allow for time to adapt.
This meal suits dogs with sensitivities. Be careful with dogs that are allergic to grain as this formula is grain-inclusive.
Fromm Family Dog Foods manufactures this nutritious meal targeting large dog breeds.
The first production date is May 13th, 2009. The first five ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Broth, Oat Groats, and Pearled Barley. The calorie content is 418 Kcal/cup, while the protein value is 25%. The fat, fiber, and moistures content are 16%, 5.5%, and 10%.
Consuming this diet improves cardiovascular health with taurine and methionine. It also lowers the stool odor with yucca schidigera. This meal is fortified with probiotics and beta-carotene for a healthy gut and proper vision. It is crafted with high-quality carb sources for energy production and dietary fiber that boost bowel health. High-quality proteins strengthen bones and muscles, while the fat value adds flavor for picky eaters.
In addition, this diet is rich in antioxidants to boost immunity. The daily consumption is based on your dog’s weight and breed size. Heavier and larger dogs require more cups to sustain their energy levels. This diet is suitable for highly active dogs as it has a high caloric content. It suits picky eaters as it is crafted from organic fruits and high-fat value to boost the taste. Moderation is key when serving.
This meal is a product of Wellness Natural Pet Food, and it is crafted for all breed sizes.
The main ingredients are Chicken, Water Sufficient for Processing, Natural Flavor, Cassia Gum, and Carrageenan with a caloric content of 521 Kcal/can to keep your fur baby active throughout the day. The protein content is 8% for a lean muscle mass, while the fat content is 6%. The fiber and moisture values are 1% and 78%, respectively.
The high moisture content ensures your dog stays hydrated throughout the day and flushes out toxins. It is cooked in the can to lock in the flavor. This makes it irresistible to picky eaters. You can serve it as a treat, a standalone meal, or a topper. It is naturally flavored to lower the risks of adverse reactions.
This meal is formulated according to the advice of nutritionists and veterinarians to ensure your pooch gets maximum benefits. This meal is suitable for dogs with sensitive tummies and grain allergies as it is crafted with a single ingredient for proteins and has no grains. This meal is for supplemental feeding. A gradual transition is advisable to allow your dog’s system to adapt to the new food.
This formula is the product of Big Heart Pet Brands, and it has a production date of January 12th, 2016.
The primary ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Dried Peas, Brown Rice, and Brewers Rice with a calorie value of 364 Kcal/cup and a protein content of 26%. The fat, fiber, and moisture values are 14%, 4%, and 10%, respectively.
This meal gives your pooch shiny skin and coat with linoleic acids. It also supports the immune system with antioxidants and vitamin C.. Consuming this diet also promotes bone and tooth health as it has calcium and phosphorus. It is slow-roasted with a hickory flavor to tempt picky eaters.
Chicken is the number one ingredient for high-quality protein for muscle health. It is crafted from easily digestible carb sources and has dietary fiber for smooth digestion. Carotenoids and chelated minerals promote eye health and nutrient absorption.
The daily consumption depends on your dog’s life stage. Free-feeding is the best for weaning puppies 3-4 months old while growing puppies from 6 weeks to 6 months can enjoy free-feeding thrice a day. Puppies 6-12 months would need to eat twice a day. Active adults need two servings per day. This meal suits dogs with sensitivities.
Mars Pet Care manufactures this dry food for all dog breeds.
The main ingredients are Chicken Chicken Meal, Split Peas, Lentils, and Pork meal with a caloric value of 449 Kcal/cup for stamina. The fat content of 34% boosts muscle strength, while the fat value of 17% adds flavor for picky eaters.
Nature’s Variety Pet Food Company manufactures this recipe for all dog breeds.
Freeze-drying boosts flavor to attract icky eaters, while the high-quality protein supports muscle power. The fat value of 20% makes this meal taster, while the 518 Kcal/cup caloric content boosts stamina. Natural probiotics help digestive health.
This meal from Ollie Pet Foods is crafted with human-grade ingredients to attract picky eaters.
The main ingredients are Beef, Peas, Sweet Potato, Carrot, and beef Kidney. It is rich in protein for strong bones and muscles. Dietary fiber promotes a healthy weight and proper digestion while antioxidants protect from free radicals.
This meal from Nom Nom is perfect for picky eaters as it is crafted with fresh ingredients for flavor.
The main ingredients are Chicken, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Spinach, and Water Sufficient for Processing. You can mix this diet with kibble for a burst of flavors to tingle your dog’s taste buds.
This meal, manufactured by Nature’s Variety, is an excellent choice for picky eaters as it is freeze-dried for a rich flavor.
The fat content of 21% also promotes flavor. One Cup has 499 calories to boost your dog’s energy levels. Beef is the number one ingredient for muscle health.
Taste of the Wild manufactures this delicious meal for all dog breeds.
Salmon is the first ingredient for strong bones, muscles, and teeth. It has taurine and omega fatty acids for a healthy heart and smooth skin. Yucca schidigera reduces stool odor and promotes digestion. Probiotics and prebiotics support digestion.
This meal is the product of Hill’s Science Pet Food.
it is crafted with easily-digestible ingredients to boost digestion. It also contains omega fatty acids for your dog’s skin and coat health. In addition, it has taurine and beta-carotene for cardiovascular and vision health. Organic fruits add flavor to picky eaters.
Lucy Pet Products are the producers of this premium diet.
Crafted with real Alaskan Salmon for a rich flavor. Consuming this meal prompts heart health with L-carnitine and taurine. It is also packed with antioxidants and probiotics for proper immune systems and digestion. The calorie value of 495 Kcal/cup boost stamina.
This meal from The Honest Kitchen Pet Foods is an excellent choice for picky eaters as it is crafted with human-grade ingredients to boost flavor.
The main ingredients are Chicken, Potatoes, Peas, Chicken Liver, and Lentils with a caloric content of 422 calories per cup. This formula is formulated with organic fruits for flavor.
This meal from Fromm Family pet Foods is specifically crafted for picky eaters.
The high-value proteins from Chicken are essential for lean muscle mass and strong bones. The rich taste will make your picky eater come for more. Consuming this meal also promotes skin appearance with omega fatty acids.
This meal from Nutro Pet Foods is highly palatable for picky eaters.
It is crafted with high-quality ingredients that boost the taste. Duck, Turkey, and Chicken Broth make this meal irresistible to selective feeders. The high moisture value promotes hydration and detoxification. High-quality protein keeps the strong muscles while beta-carotene boost vision health.
This formula is a Nestle Purina PetCare product and is crafted with tender shredded bites for a richly-flavored meal.
The primary ingredients are Beef, Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, and poultry-By-Product. Glucosamine, calcium, and phosphorus boost joint and bone health while omega fatty acids and vitamin A promote skin health.
This diet from Nestle Purina PetCare suits picky eaters as it is crafted with real meat to appeal to your dog’s wild nature.
The primary ingredients are Beef, Water Sufficient for Processing, Liver, Meat By-Products, and Chicken. Mixing it with kibble enriches it adding flavor to tempt poor feeders.
Solid Gold Pet Food company manufactures this mouth-watering formula.
The main ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chickpeas, Peas, and Pea Protein. It is crafted with real fruits like cranberries to boost flavor and immunity. It has taurine and methionine for heart health.DHA promotes brain and vision health in dogs.
This recipe by Blue Buffalo is an excellent choice for picky eaters as it is tasty and contains organic fruits.
The main ingredients are Turkey, Turkey Broth, Potatoes, Flaxseed, and Pea Protein. It has omega fatty acids and chelated minerals for skin and coat health and proper absorption of essential nutrients.
What facts should you know about dog food for picky eaters?
Here are the facts that you should know about dog food for picky eaters:
- Organic fruits and vegetables add to the taste of dog food, so the best food for picky eaters should be crafted with organic fruits and vegetables
- Fats enhance flavor; hence the best food for picky eaters should be rich in fat
- The best food for picky eaters should come from high-quality protein sources like salmon, chicken, and beef
- The best food for picky eaters should be free from artificial preservatives, fillers, and colorings. Go for foods that are naturally preserved using mixed tocopherols.
- Picky eaters need the energy to boost stamina and the best food for them should have enough calories.
- The best food for picky eaters should have glucosamine, chondroitin, calcium, and phosphorous for joint and bone health.
- Freeze-drying and dehydrating help keep flavors in for a tasty meal to attract and keep selective feeders.
What are the best dog foods for picky eaters according to dog sizes?
What are the best dog foods for small-sized picky eater dogs?
Here are the best dog foods for small-sized picky eaters:
- Diamond Naturals Small & Medium Breed Formula. It is crafted with real chicken and organic fruits for a rich flavor to attract fussy eater puppies.
- Merrick Classic Small Breed Recipe. Chicken, turkey, and salmon give this meal a rich flavor to tempt your picky eater.
What are the best dog foods for medium-sized picky eater dogs?
Below are the best dog foods for medium-sized picky eaters:
- Victor Select Yukon River Dry Dog Food. it is crafted with menhaden fish and dehydrated salmon to boost digestibility and palatability
- Acana HighProtein Adult Dry Dog Food. it is formulated with raw meat and real fruits and vegetables to appeal to your dog’s instinct
What are the best dog foods for large picky eater dogs?
Here are the best dog foods for large picky eaters:
- Now Fresh Grain-free Large breed Formula. It uses fresh meat, which is minimally processed to retain the original taste and attract poor feeders.
- Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Recipe. High-quality ingredients like Lamb Meal soothes your pooch’s palate making them want more and more.
What are the best dog foods with pumpkins for picky eater dogs?
The best dog food with pumpkin for picky eaters:
- Wild Earth Clean Protein Formula. It uses high-quality ingredients for an irresistible flavor. It has pumpkin, a proper ingredient for digestion.
- Lucy Pet Products Limited Ingredient Diet Recipe. It features real duck as the single protein source and contains pumpkin and other organic vegetables for flavor.
What is the best chicken-free dog food for picky eaters?
The best chicken-free dog food for picky eaters:
- American Journey Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food. Deboned Duck is the number one ingredient for a rich taste that tempts picky eaters. All the ingredients are proper
- Canidae Under the Sun Grain-free Formula. It is crafted with real lamb and fresh fruits for a perfect taste.
What are the other dog foods for different health conditions similar to picky eating?
What are the best dog foods for itchy skin?
Here are the best dog foods for itchy skin:
- Brothers Complete Advanced Allergy Care. it is low glycemic, grain-free, and has no fillers, thus lowering the risk of skin allergies.
- Purina Pro Plan Development Puppy Canned Dog food. This meal has no grains, wheat, soy, or corn to lower the probabilities of allergic reactions.
What is the best dog with glucosamine?
Below are the best dog foods with glucosamine:
- Zesty Paws Mobility Bites Soft Chews. It has glucosamine and chondroitin for healthy joints. The rich flavor suits picky eaters.
- ZiwiPeak Air-Dried Dog Food. It boosts cartilage health with glucosamine and chondroitin. Air-drying boosts flavor while antioxidants protect from inflammatory diseases.
What are the best dog foods for picky eater dogs?
These are the best dog food for picky eaters:
- Texas Beef Stew Grain-free Dog Food. It is crafted with human-grade ingredients and a single protein source to boost flavor. Slow-cooking ensures all the flavors are retained.
- The Farmers Dog recipe. It is prepared with fresh meat for a rich taste to attract picky eaters.
What are the best dog foods for dogs with pancreatitis?
These are the best dog foods for dogs with pancreatitis:
- Wellness Core Reduced-Fat Turkey & Chicken Formula. It has a fat value of 12%, which suits dogs with pancreatitis.it also has beta-carotene for eye health.
- Avoderm Original Chicken Meal & Brown Rice. It has a 13% fat value for pancreatitis.
What are the best dog foods for dogs with sensitive stomachs?
Below are the best dog foods for sensitive stomachs:
- Purina One SmartBlend Skin & Coat Recipe dry Food. it is perfect for sensitive digestion as it is easily digestible and has no corn, wheat, or soy.
- Diamond Care Sensitive Stomach Formula. It is crafted with a single source of easily-digestible protein for sensitive tummies.
What are the best dog foods for dogs with allergies?
Here are the best dog foods for dogs with allergies:
- Hill’s Prescription Diet Skin & Food Sensitivities. It is a limited ingredient diet formulated by vets to lower the risk of allergies.
- Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Diet. it is crafted from a single source of protein and easily-digestible carbs for sensitive digestion and skin allergies.