8 Best Dog Foods for a Great Pyrenees: Puppies, Adults & Seniors
As the name suggests, Great Pyrenees are giant dogs. These towering breeds, although huge, are excellent family dogs. They are charming, protective, confident, strong-willed, and independent. Great Pyrenees need regular exercise and a balanced diet to maintain their happy lives.
The best foods for Great Pyrenees meet their health, breed, and nutritional needs. To sustain their energy levels, Great Pyrenees need high-calorie foods with moderate fat values to lower the risk of obesity. Great Pyrenees are susceptible to various health problems that call for special diets.
The health problems include joint issues resulting from the exertion of pressure around the hip and joint area. Foods with chondroitin and glucosamine lower the risk of joint problems. Calcium and phosphorus also come in handy. However, these breeds grow fast and hence need a ratio of 2:1 for calcium and phosphorus.
Other health problems affecting Great Pyrenees include plaque and gingivitis, cardiac problems, orthopedic problems, eye problems, and cancer. Foods with teeth cleaning properties, taurine, vitamin A, antioxidants, and L-carnitine help lower the occurrence and effects of these problems.
What are the top five brands for the best foods for Great Pyrenees?
There are many brands crafted to meet Great Pyrenees’ nutritional and health needs. Below is a list of our top five brands for the best diet for Great Pyrenees:
- Blue Buffalo
- Wellness Core
- Solid Gold
Selecting the best food for Great Pyrenees is time-consuming. However, it lowers the risk of tummy upsets, allergies, and unhealthy weight, thus contributing to a happy dog. The average cost for our 8 best foods for Great Pyrenees is $64.86, with the prices ranging from $39.99 to $99.99 for bags weighing 20-30 lbs. Your dog’s stage also dictates the type of food to select. Puppies need more calories than adults and seniors. Seniors need diets with chondroitin and glucosamine for their joints. The top four foods for Great Pyrenees are listed below:
|Merrick Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Real Chicken and Sweet Potato Recipe|
|True Acre Foods Grain-Free Beef & Vegetable Dry Dog Food|
Best for Puppies
|ORIJEN Dog Puppy Recipe|
Best for Seniors
|Solid Gold Young At Heart Senior Recipe Dry Dog Food|
Note: These prices are as of April 29th, 2022.
View Table of Contents
- Best Overall 1. Merrick Grain Free Large Breed Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
- Best Value 2. True Acre Foods Beef & Vegetable Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Best for Puppies 3. Orijen Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Best for Seniors 4. Solid Gold Young At Heart Senior Recipe Dry Dog Food
- 5. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
- 6. Wellness Core Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- 7. Merrick Backcountry Raw Freeze-Dried Large Breed Recipe
- 8. American Journey Salmon & Brown Rice Large Breed Dry Food
- What facts should you know about dog foods for Great Pyrenees?
1. Merrick Grain Free Large Breed Real Chicken + Sweet Potato Large Breed Formula Dry Dog Food
Give your Great Pyrenees premium nutrition with Merrick Grain-Free Formula by Merrick Pet Care. The initial production date is October 18th, 2019, and it targets Large and giant breeds. The major ingredients include Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, and Potatoes.
- Real deboned chicken is the number one ingredient for high-value proteins (30%) to promote muscle health.
- The calorie value of 382 Kcal/cup and fat value of 15% ensure your large adult dog stays active throughout the day.
- The Great Pyrenees are prone to joint problems due to their weight, and this meal has chondroitin and glucosamine to lower the risks of cartilage problems.
- The Great Pyrenees are also susceptible to heart problems, and this formula has taurine and L-carnitine to support cardiac wellness.
- Sweet potatoes are the best high-quality fiber sources for bowel and gut wellness.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids ensure your dog’s coat and skin stay healthy.
Merrick Grain-Free Formula is suitable for dogs with grain allergies. The daily consumption is given according to your dog’s weight. Divide the daily portions by the number of times you feed your dog. Adult dogs do well with 2 meals per day. A 22-lb bag costs $64.98.
2. True Acre Foods Beef & Vegetable Recipe Dry Dog Food
Show your dog true love with True Acre Formula by True Acre Foods. This recipe provides premium nutrition, and it targets all dog breeds. The top ingredients are Beef, Peas, Pea Starch, Poultry By-Product Meal, and Canola Meal.
- Real beef is the first ingredient to fuel your dog’s muscles.
- It is jam-packed with antioxidants, fiber, and omegas for protection against free radicals, digestive wellness, and skin health.
- It uses farm-grown vegetables and fruits like carrots, cranberries, and peas for utmost well-being.
- It has no grains, corn, wheat, or soy for your allergic Great Pyrenees.
- Calcium and phosphorus are important for bone, teeth, and muscle health, while selenium and zinc support the immune system.
- It contains vitamin A and C for vision, coat, skin, and immune wellness.
True Acre Formula is ideal for dogs with grain allergies. The Great Pyrenees weighing 41-60 lbs need 3 to 4 cups daily, while those weighing 61-80 lbs need 4 to 4 ¼ cups. Body weights of 81-100 lbs need 4 ¾ to 5 ⅔ cups. For dogs over 100 lbs, add ⅔ cup for every additional 20 lbs. A 30-lbs bag costs $39.99.
Best for Puppies
3. Orijen Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food
Make your Great Pyrenees taste buds dance with ecstasy with Orijen Large Breed Formula from Champion Petfoods. The initial manufacturing date is March 15th, 2019, targeting all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Chicken, Turkey, Turkey Giblets, Flounder, and Whole Mackerel.
- The first five ingredients are meat sources, contributing to the high protein value of 38% for thick muscles.
- The main ingredients are always raw or fresh to delight your dog’s wild nature.
- Consuming this meal ensures sufficient energy for your large dog, with the 20% fat value and calorie value of 475 Kcal/cup.
- It supports joint and bone health with glucosamine, calcium, and phosphorus.
- DHA promotes cognitive health for your puppy to boost concentration and trainability.
- This diet gives your puppy lustrous skin and a smooth coat with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- Pumpkin, lentils, and peas are excellent sources of fiber for gut and bowel wellness.
- This diet is fortified with powerful antioxidants from sources like blueberries to prevent oxidative damage.
Orijen Large Breed Formula is ideal for dogs with grain allergies and sensitivities. Puppies need 2-3 meals per day, and the amount to serve depends on their weights and breed size. Great Pyrenees puppies are large breeds and need ⅔ cups per day at 11 lbs. A 25-lb bag costs $99.99.
Best for Seniors
4. Solid Gold Young At Heart Senior Recipe Dry Dog Food
Keep your senior Great Pyrenees young with Solid Gold Young Formula by Solid Gold Pet LLC. The initial production date is July 15th, 2017, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Chickpeas, and Peas.
- It features real chicken as the number one ingredient for lean muscle mass and has probiotics for your dog’s gut wellness.
- Senior dogs have sensitive digestion and this formula comes in handy as it is highly digestible and has no fillers, wheat, corn, soy, grain, gluten, artificial preservatives, or carrageenan.
- The low-calorie value of 325 Kcal/cup and 9% fat value lower the risks of obesity for your senior dog.
- It has DHA to reduce the risk of memory loss and improve concentration.
- Consuming this recipe boosts the skin and coat health with omega=ga 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- This recipe is also fortified with antioxidants to protect dogs against cellular damage.
Solid Gold Young Formula is suitable for senior dogs with sensitive digestion and grain allergies. Great Pyrenees weighing 46-60 lbs need 3 to 3 ½ cups per day, while those weighing 61-75 lbs need 3 ½ to 4 ¼ cups. A 7-10 days transition ensures your dog fully adapts to the new food. A 24lb bag costs $62.99.
Protect your Great Pyrenees Puppy with Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula by the Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd. the first production date is July 14th, 2009, and it targets large and giant breeds. The key ingredients include Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Oatmeal, and Barley.
- This recipe is the best for your Great Pyrenees puppy as it has DHA and ARA for proper brain development. The omegas boost skin and coat wellness.
- Calcium and phosphorus come in handy for strong bones and muscles, while the specialized kibble is perfect for removing the tartar.
- This meal is packed with antioxidants and chelated minerals to boost immunity and ensure maximum absorption of important nutrients.
- The protein value of 26% and L-carnitine work together for your dog’s lean muscles.
- The 15% fat value with a calorie content of 386 Kcal/cup supports your large dog’s stamina.
- It is free from corn, wheat, soy, or poultry by-product meals for your sensitive Great Pyrenees.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is best for dogs with sensitive tummies. The daily intake depends on your puppy’s age and body weight. For example, puppies weighing up to 5 lbs need ½ -1 cup at 1-3 months, ¼ -¾ at 3-5 months, and ¼ -½ cup from 5-12 months. This meal is pocket-friendly as a 30-lb bag costs $55.98.
Massage your Great Pyrenees instincts with Wellness Core Formula by Wellpet LLC. The first manufacturing date is September 12th, 2010, and it targets large and giant breeds. The key ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lentils, and Peas.
- It comes in a large kibble size for easy eating.
- This recipe is jam-packed with proteins (34%) to promote muscle tone.
- Boost coat and skin wellness with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- This delicacy is fortified with probiotics, antioxidants, chondroitin, and glucosamine for digestive, immune, and joint health.
- It lowers the risks of obesity as it has L-carnitine to break down excess fat into useful energy. The 12% fat content and calorie value of 342 Kcal/cup also help with healthy weight maintenance.
- Calcium and phosphorus promote bone and muscle wellness, while vitamin C and E boost immunity and protect your dog against free radicals.
Wellness Core Formula is best for dog’s sensitive tummies and grain allergies. The daily amounts depend on your dog’s weight, with Great Pyrenees weighing 50-60 lbs needing 3-3 ⅔ cups, while those weighing 61-70 lbs need 3 ⅔ to 4 cups. For mixed feeding, reduce the dry amounts by ½ cup for every 6-oz of wet food. A 26-lb bag costs $74.99.
Make your dog look forward to the next meal with Merrick Backcountry Formula by Merrick Pet Care. The first production date is April 8th, 2020, and it targets large and giant breeds. The key ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Sweet Potatoes, and Potatoes.
- It is freeze-dried raw coated for a burst of flavor to delight your picky eater great Pyrenees.
- Real deboned chicken is the number one ingredient for premium proteins (38%) for well-toned muscles and increased stamina.
- It has 386 calories per cup and a fat value of 17% for physical activity.
- Taurine supports heart health, while yucca schidigera boosts digestive wellness and reduces stool odor.
- This meal is packed with antioxidants from superfoods like blueberries to protect your dog against inflammatory diseases like cancer.
- It has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives for maximum benefits.
Merrick Backcountry Formula is suitable for weight maintenance, sensitive digestion, and grain allergies. Great Pyrenees weighing 40 lbs need 2 ½ cups per day, while those weighing 50 lbs need 3 cups. Body weight ranging from 60-100 lbs need a range of 3 ¼ to 4 ¾ cups. Divide the daily portions by the number of times you feed your dog. A 20-lb bag costs $74.98.
Awaken the champion in your Great Pyrenees with the American Journey Formula from Chewy. This tasty meal provides overall health benefits for your dog, and it targets all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Deboned Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal, Brown Rice, Peas, and Rice Bran.
- Deboned salmon is the number one ingredient for high-quality proteins (25%) for lean muscles.
- The fat value of 15% and calorie content of 345 Kcal/cup give your large dog sufficient energy for physical activity.
- It has calcium and phosphorus for strong bones and muscles.
- Zinc, selenium, and vitamin E work together to promote immunity, while taurine is responsible for cardiac health.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids support skin health, while yucca schidigera boosts bowel and gut health and lowers the intensity of stool odor.
- Dietary fiber and antioxidants are responsible for digestive health and protection against free disease-causing radicals.
- It is free from wheat, corn, soy, artificial colors, and artificial preservatives.
The American Journey Formula is best for dogs with sensitive tummies and those that can tolerate grains. The daily feeding depends on your dog’s weight. For example, the Great Pyrenees weighing 40 lbs need 3 cups and those weighing 60 lbs need 3 ⅓ cups. A 28-lb bag costs $44.99.
What facts should you know about dog foods for Great Pyrenees?
The great Pyrenees are giant dogs, and their foods should match their breed-specific needs. Below are the facts about the best dog food for Great Pyrenees:
- Great Pyrenees need strong muscles to support their weight and remain active. The proteins should come from high-quality and identifiable meat sources. These sources include beef, chicken, and fish. Look for products with real meat as the first ingredient. The more proteins in the first five ingredients, the better for your Great Pyrenees.
- Because of their weight, Great Pyrenees are susceptible to joint problems. Foods with chondroitin, glucosamine, calcium, and phosphorus help lower the effects of joint problems.
- The Great Pyrenees are also prone to obesity. Look for foods with moderate fat value. The fats should come from healthy sources like chicken fat and flaxseed. In addition, L-carnitine is crucial as it breaks down excess fat, thus lowering the rates of fat accumulation and, consequently,, weight gain.
- The Great Pyrenees are predisposed to dental problems. This calls for foods with teeth-friendly properties. Dry food comes in handy as they remove tartar while your dog is chewing.
- In addition, these giant breeds are prone to heart problems due to their weight. Foods with taurine and L-carnitine support cardiac wellness.
What are the best dog foods for Great Pyrenees According to dog sizes?
The Great Pyrenees are giant dogs, and their size determines the type of food to buy.
The Best Dog Food for Medium-Sized Great Pyrenees
- Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Prairie Dry Food: Massage your Great Pyrenees instincts with the Taste of the Wild Formula. This diet, bison, and venison for a protein value of 32% to support strong and thick muscles. It contains probiotics, prebiotics, antioxidants, and omegas for digestive, immune, and skin health.
The Best Dog Food for Large Great Pyrenees
- Purina Pro Plan Chicken & Rice Formula High protein Dry Food: This high-protein diet tones your dog’s muscles and provides sufficient energy for physical activities. It comes in a hard kibble with shredded pieces for flavor and dental health. This diet has probiotics for bowel and gut wellness and is packed with vitamins A and E for skin and immune health.
What are the best dog foods for the Great Pyrenees with different ingredients?
The Great Pyrenees are pronto joint problems, and foods with glucosamine and chondroitin are crucial. They are also susceptible to cancer, and foods with antioxidants reduce the risk of oxidative damage.
The Best Dog Food with glucosamine and Chondroitin for Great Pyrenees
- Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dry Food: Real chicken is the main source of protein, and glucosamine and chondroitin reduce joint inflammation.
The Best Dog Food with Blueberries for Great Pyrenees
- Farmina N & D Prime Lamb & Blueberry Dry Food: Blueberry is the 6th ingredient for antioxidants that prevent cancer and other inflammatory diseases.
What are the best dog foods for the Great Pyrenees with different health conditions?
The Best Dog Food for Great Pyrenees with Pancreatitis
- Canidae Pure Healthy weight Grain-Free Dry Food: It is crafted with only 9 ingredients to reduce the risks of sensitivities and allergies. In addition, the fat value of 9% is suitable for the Great Pyrenees with Pancreatitis.
The Best Dog Food for Great Pyrenees with allergies
- Royal Canin Adult Hydrolyzed Protein Veterinary Diet Dry Food: This veterinary-exclusive hydrolyzed dog food is perfect for your Great Pyrenees. It reduces gastric and skin reactions resulting from sensitivities to ingredients in your dog’s food. It also protects the skin barrier to reduce skin irritations.
What is the ideal weight for the Great Pyrenees?
Great Pyrenees are giant dogs with towering heights. Your dog’s weight before 8 weeks may not say much about its adult size. High or low birth weights can be the result of the intrauterine placement, and dogs with the smallest weights can grow to become large or giant dogs.
Great Pyrenees reach adult size at around 18 to 24 months. Most Great Pyrenees come close to their adult size after their first year and continue growing and building stronger muscles until they reach their growth size.
During this period, the chest and shoulders become broader and the coat becomes thicker with more volume. In 1 year, your Great Pyrenees will weigh approximately 95-110 pounds for males and 80-95 pounds for females. The adult weight is 100-160 pounds for males and 85-115 for females.
What are the ingredient to avoid for Great Pyrenees
Great Pyrenees thrive on healthy diets. However, there are some ingredients that are harmful for these huge breeds. It is best to stick to healthy ingredients that are vet-approved. Listed are some ingredients to avoid for Great Pyrenees:
- Chocolate: Chocolate is highly toxic for your Great Pyrenees. It contains theobromine, which is toxic. Chocolate toxicity presents in restlessness, excessive urination and thirst, and diarrhea.
- Onions: Onions are harmful as they cause anemia, difficulty in breathing, and lethargy.
- Grapes: Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs. Some symptoms of grape poisoning include abdominal pain, dehydration, decreased appetite, and weakness. If untreated, grape poisoning leads to kidney failure.
- Xylitol: This toxic sweetener is found in candy and diet foods. It is highly poisonous for your Great Pyrenees as it leads to seizures, hypoglycemia, liver failure, and even death.
- Caffeine: Though safe for humans, caffeine is poisonous to your furry friend. It causes heart palpitations, restlessness, and even death.
How often should I feed my Great Pyrenees during the day?
Free-feeding is not advisable for Great Pyrenees as they can overheat. Overeating leads to obesity, which comes with loads of health problems. Measure enough food for one meal and leave it for only 30 minutes. This gives your giant dog sufficient time to eat.
For adults, two meals per day is perfect as they require less energy compared to puppies. On the other hand, puppies are highly active, and thus need three meals per day. Spreading meals throughout the day lowers the risks of tummy issues and weight gain.
An active adult Pyrenees needs 2200 calories per day, while puppies need 1670 calories. The table below summarizes the feeding guidelines for your Great Pyrenees:
Number of calories
Number of feeding times
Amount per feeding session
Spreading the meals lowers the risks of digestive problems as it ensures the food is fully digested for maximum nutrient absorption. Mixed feeding is advisable as dry food is great for dental health while wet food provides hydration.