11 Best Dog Foods for Border Collies
Originally bred as working dogs, Border Collies are highly active dogs. These smart breeds need optimal nutrition for their overall wellness. The best foods for Border Collies use high-quality ingredients for sufficient energy.
Border Collies need a balanced diet with high protein value for amino acids that build strong muscles. Go for high-value protein sources, including turkey and chicken. Quality meat meals have a higher protein value than meat. Fats are also important for your Border Collie. Fats supply energy, promote skin and coat wellness, and add flavor to your dog’s food.
Border Collies also have a fast metabolism, hence need lots of calories and moderate carbs. Carbs also promote digestive health and add palatability and texture to the food. Vitamins and minerals including vitamin A, C, and E and calcium are essential for your Border Collie’s optimal growth.
The process of selecting the best food for Border Collies is tedious, as there are a lot of foods to choose from. Our 11 reviews will help you make the right choice. The right choice reduces digestive, allergic, and weight problems to keep your Border Collie happy.
What are the best 5 brands for premium food for Border Collies?
- Blue Buffalo
The average price is $58.34 with prices starting from $30.72 to $99.99. Your Border Collie’s life stage also dictates the type of food. Puppies need high-protein and high-energy food, while seniors are less active and hence need fewer calories.
Below are the top 5 best dog foods for Border Collies. Scroll down further for picks 6-11.
|Instinct Grain Free Original Raw Coated Real Chicken Natural High Protein Dog Food|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Best for Sensitive Stomach
|Hill's Science Diet Dry Dog Food Sensitive Stomach & Skin, Chicken Recipe|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Best for Puppies
|Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Puppy Dog Food|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Best for Seniors
|ORIJEN Dog Senior Recipe|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
|Purina Pro Plan High Protein Dog Food With Probiotics for Dogs, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula|
|Check Price on AmazonCheck Price on Chewy|
Note: These prices are as of April 22nd, 2022
View Table of Contents
- Best Overall 1. Instinct Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Best for Sensitive Stomachs 2. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
- Best for Puppies 3. Wellness Core Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Best for Senior Dogs 4. Orijen Senior Adult Dry Dog Food
- Best Value 5. Purina Pro Plan Shredded Blend With Probiotics Food Dry Dog Food
- 6. Canidae All Life Stages Wet Dog Food
- 7. Merrick Chunky Wet Dog Food
- 8. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Dry Dog Food
- 9. Nutro Natural Choice Senior Dry Dog Food
- 10. Natural Balance Fat Dogs Low-Calorie Dry Dog Food
- 11. Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Canned Food
- What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Border Collies?
1. Instinct Original Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Massage your Border Collie’s instincts with Instinct Original Formula from Nature’s Variety. The first production date is June 3rd, 2011, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients are Chicken, Chicken Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat, and Tapioca.
- Chicken is the number one ingredient for a high protein value of 37% for your Border Collie’s muscle health.
- The fat value of 20% and calorie content of 518 Kcal/cup keep your Border Collie active throughout the day.
- Vitamin C and E work together to protect your dog from infections and free radicals that cause inflammation.
- This recipe ensures healthy skin and coat with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- This diet is free from grain, wheat, corn, soy, potato, and by-product meals for your sensitive Border Collie.
- Probiotics support digestive wellness, while taurine ensures your dog’s heart is healthy.
- It is formulated in the USA using quality ingredients from across the globe.
Instinct Original Formula is suitable for dogs with sensitive digestion and grain allergies. The daily portions on your dog’s body weight. Border Collies weighing 5-15 lbs need ½ to 1 cup for weight maintenance and ¼ to ½ cup for weight loss. A 22.5-pound bag costs $67.99.
Best for Sensitive Stomachs
2. Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dry Dog Food
Nurture your sensitive Border Collie with Hill’s Science Diet Formula from Hill’s Pet Nutrition Sales, Inc. the initial manufacturing date is May 15th, 2010, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Chicken, Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Yellow Peas, and Cracked Pearled Barley.
- The premium protein value (24%) from real chicken is important for strong and thick muscles.
- Border Collies are high-energy dogs, and the fat value of 13% and calorie content of 382 Kcal/cup ensure your active canine friend remains energetic throughout the day.
- It is formulated with beet pulp, a nourishing prebiotic fiber for gut and bowel health.
- This Hill’s Science formula is highly digestible for maximum absorption of nutrients and reduced risks of digestive problems.
- Omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E promote coat and skin health and support immune health.
- It is formulated with natural ingredients to lower the risks of allergic reactions and sensitivities.
Hill’s Science Diet Formula is suitable for stomach and skin sensitivities in dogs. Collies weighing 5 pounds need ½ cup per day, while those weighing 10 pounds need ⅞ cups. Dogs with weights from 20-120 pounds need 1 ½ to 5 ⅔ cups. A 30-pounds bag costs $75.99.
Best for Puppies
3. Wellness Core Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
Provide complete wellness for your Border Collie with Wellness Core Formula from WellPet LLC. The first production date is March 17th, 2012, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients are Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Lentils, and Peas.
- It comes in a small kibble for easy chewing.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient for premium proteins for a muscular look and ideal weight.
- It is fortified with antioxidants and probiotics for immune and digestive health.
- Calcium, phosphorus, and glucosamine are important for bone, muscle, and joint health, while taurine promotes cardiac wellness.
- Omega-6 and 3 fatty acids blend with beta-carotene to boost coat and skin health and support proper eyesight.
- Consuming this recipe boosts your puppy’s cognitive wellness with DHA.
Wellness Core Formula is ideal for dogs that are allergic to grains and have sensitive tummies. The daily intake depends on your puppy’s age and weight. For example, puppies weighing 10 lbs need 1 ¾ cups at 6-12 weeks, 1 ⅔ cups at 4-6 months, 1 ⅓ cups at 7-9 months, and 1 cup at 10-12 months. A 5-7 day transition lowers the risks of digestive problems and allergic reactions in your puppy. A 26-pounds bag costs $74.99.
Best for Senior Dogs
4. Orijen Senior Adult Dry Dog Food
Give your Border Collie the original taste of the wild food with Orijen Senior Formula from Champion Petfoods. The first manufacturing date is March 15th, 2019, and it targets all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Chicken, Turkey, Flounder, Whole Mackerel, and Turkey Giblets.
- The high protein content of 38% supports muscle power and your Border Collie’s active life, while the fat value of 15% and calorie content of 417 Kcal/ cup provide the energy for your dog’s physical activity.
- DHA and EPA support brain wellness and mobility, while omegas are responsible for a good-looking coat and skin.
- Glucosamine, calcium, and phosphorus combine to give your dog healthy bones, muscles, and joints.
- This meal is freeze-dried coated for a burst of raw flavor for your selective Border Collie.
- It is made with nutrient-dense and succulent parts of prey for your dog’s overall wellness.
Orijen Senior Adult Formula is suitable for weight management, sensitivities, and allergies. Border Collies weighing 5-15 pounds need ⅔ to ¾ cups for weight maintenance and ⅓ to ⅔ cups for weight loss. You can add a little water or serve dry. To maintain freshness, seal the bag tightly after opening. A 25-pounds bag costs $99.99.
Make your Border Collie look forward to mealtime with Purina Pro Plan Formula from Nestle Purina Pet. The first manufacturing date is October 2nd, 2001, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Chicken, Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Poultry By-Product Meal, and Soybean Meal.
- Real chicken is the number one ingredient for premium proteins for your dog’s lean muscles.
- The tender, shredded pieces in this hard kibble add taste and texture to attract your picky eater Collie.
- It is enhanced with live probiotics for digestive and immune wellness.
- It supports skin and coat health with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and vitamin A.
- Calcium, phosphorus, and glucosamine support bone, muscle, and joint health.
Purina Pro Plan Formula is ideal for dogs that can tolerate grains, as it is grain-inclusive. The daily feeding depends on your Border Collie’s weight. For example, Border Collies weighing 3-12 pounds need ½ to 1 ¼ cups, while those weighing 13-20 pounds need 1 ½ to 1 ⅔ cups. Serving the right amounts keeps your dog’s weight healthy. However, you may need to adjust these amounts depending on your Border Collie’s age and activity levels. A 35-pounds bag costs $55.48.
Give your Border Collie a reason to look forward to mealtime with Canidae All-Life Stages Formula from Canidae. The initial production date is March 17th, 2012, and it targets all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Broth, Lamb, Chicken Liver, and Dried Egg products.
- Chicken and fish contribute to the high protein value of 9% for lean muscles, while the fat value of 6% and calorie content of 528 Kcal/ 13-oz can boost stamina.
- It has both linoleic and linolenic acids for skin and coat wellness.
- This diet is formulated by veterinarians, hence safe for your Border Collie.
- It is made with wholesome grains for your dog’s energy needs and proper digestion.
- It has no wheat, corn, or soy, hence an excellent choice for sensitive tummies.
Canidae All-Life Stages Formula is ideal for dogs that can tolerate grains. Dogs with sensitivities also do well with this recipe. Serve 13-oz can daily for every 15 pounds of body weight. Puppies need twice these amounts for improved stamina, and nursing dogs need up to 3 times. Make switching as smooth as possible using a 7-day transition period. A 13-oz can, case of 12 costs $39.88.
Watch your Border Collie clear its plate in minutes with Merrick Chunky Formula by Merrick Pet Care. The first production date is April 2nd, 2014, and it targets all dog breeds. The major ingredients include Deboned Beef, Beef Broth, Vegetable Broth, Beef Liver, and Dried Egg Product.
- The 8% protein value supports your Border Collie’s muscles, while the fat value of 3% and calorie content of 372 Kcal/12.7-oz can provide energy for your adult Border Collie.
- The high moisture value of 82% ensures your dog stays hydrated, removes toxins from the body, and supports digestion.
- This recipe delights your picky eater Border Collie with chunks of beef and savory gravy.
- It is free from artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, and by-products.
- This grain-free dog food is packaged in a convenient pull-tab can for easy serving.
Merrick Chunky Formula is best for dogs’ grain allergies and sensitive digestion. Your Border Collie’s weight dictates the daily amounts to serve. For example, Border Collies weighing 3 pounds need ½ cans and those weighing 6 pounds require ¾ cans. Body weights ranging from 10-100 pounds need a range of 1 to 5 ⅓ cans. For dogs weighing more than 100 pounds, add ⅓ can for every additional 10 pounds. A 12.7-oz can, case of 12 costs $39.36.
Awaken the beat in your Border Collie with Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula by the Blue Buffalo Company Ltd. The first production date is October 1st, 2004, and it targets all dog breeds. The key ingredients include Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, and Oatmeal.
- Deboned chicken is the number one ingredient for amino acids to support muscle power. In addition, calcium, phosphorus, and glucosamine promote muscle, bone, and joint wellness.
- The fat value of 14% and calorie content of 377 Kcal/cup suit your ever-active Border Collie.
- Consuming this recipe gives your Border Collie a smooth skin and shiny coat with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- L-carnitine and taurine work together for your dog’s heart health; chelated minerals ensure maximum absorption of important nutrients.
- This diet is crafted with superfoods including blueberries and cranberries for antioxidants that protect dogs from oxidative damage. Vitamin C also boosts your Collie’s immunity.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is ideal for dogs with sensitive tummies and those that can tolerate grains. Border Collies weighing up to 15 pounds need ½ to 1 ¼ cups daily, while those weighing 16-25 pounds require 1 ¼ to 1 ¾ cups. A 24-pounds bag costs $45.48.
Help your Border Collie enjoy his golden years with Nutro Natural Choice Formula by Nutro. The initial production date is February 2nd, 2015, and it targets all dog breeds. The primary ingredients include Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Barley, Split Peas, and Brewers Rice.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient that contributes to a high-quality protein content of 24% to fuel your Border Collie’s muscles.
- Calcium, chondroitin, and glucosamine work together to promote bone and cartilage wellness.
- Vitamins C and E blend to boost immunity and protect your dog against cellular damage caused by free radicals. Essential antioxidants also boost immune wellness.
- Nutro Natural Choice Formula supports skin and coat health with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- It has natural fiber for healthy digestion.
- This diet is crafted with non-GMO ingredients free from corn, soy, wheat, and chicken by-product.
Nutro Natural Choice Formula is best for dogs with sensitive digestion. Your Border Collie’s weight dictates the daily amounts to serve, with Border Collies weighing 15 pounds needing 1 ¼ to 1 ⅓ cups, with those weighing 25 pounds requiring 1 ¾ to 2 cups. You may need to adjust these amounts according to your dog’s activity levels. A 30-pounds bag costs $53.98.
Naturally satisfy your Border Collie’s cravings with Natural Balance Formula from Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. the first production date is March 18th, 2013, and it targets all dog breeds. The main ingredients include Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Chickpeas, Dried Peas, and Oat Groats.
- This low-calorie recipe has dietary fiber for smooth digestion.
- Its high palatability delights even the finicky eaters.
- The protein value of 26% helps your Border Collie maintain a healthy weight and preserve lean muscle.
- Consuming this meal aids in weight management as it makes dogs feel full for longer.
- Vitamin C and E support the immune system by protecting your dog against infections and free radicals.
- This recipe promotes coat and skin wellness with omega 6 and 3 fatty acids.
- L-carnitine breaks down fat into useful energy, thus lowering the risks of obesity and heart problems.
Natural Balance Formula is best for weight management. Border Collies weighing 10 pounds need 1 cup per day for weight loss and 1 ¼ for weight maintenance. Weights ranging from 20-140 pounds need 1 to 7 ¼ cups for weight loss and 1 ¼ to 8 ½ for weight maintenance. You may need to adjust these portions according to your dog’s age, weather, and activity levels. A 28-pounds pack costs $57.88.
Provide peak nutrition for your Border Collie with Whole Earth Farms Formula by Merrick Pet Care. The initial production date is December 31st, 2013, and it targets extra small, toy, and small breeds. The major ingredients include Beef, Beef Liver, Beef Broth, Carrots, and Apples.
- Beef is the number one ingredient for premium proteins to support a lean muscle mass and give your dog a healthy weight.
- The high moisture content keeps your Border Collie hydrated, flushes out toxins, and supports digestive health.
- The high-quality fiber from wholesome ingredients promotes bowel and gut health, while taurine supports the heart.
- Carrots and apples are excellent sources of vitamin A and antioxidants for vision, skin, coat, and immune wellness.
- It is free from wheat, soy, corn, and chicken for your sensitive Border Collie.
Whole Earth Farms Formula is ideal for dogs with grain allergies and tummy sensitivities. An adult Border Collie needs 2 cans per 3 lbs of body weight daily. Cover and refrigerate the food after opening. A 5-7 day transition period ensures your dog’s digestive system fully adapts to the new food and reduces the risks of stomach upsets and allergies. Start with small amounts of the new food and gradually increase the amounts. A 3-oz, case of 24 costs $30.72.
What facts should you know about the best dog foods for Border Collies?
Here are the facts to know about the best dog foods for Border Collies:
- Border Collies, like other dogs, need high-quality proteins for strong muscles. The proteins should come from real meat sources like chicken and turkey. The first ingredient should be identifiable meat. The more meat sources in the first five ingredients, the more proteins for a lean muscle mass.
- Border Collies are high-energy dogs and need moderate to high fat and calories. Fats are also important for skin and coat wellness and add flavor to the food. Ensure the fats are from healthy sources like flaxseed, chicken fat, and salmon oil.
- The best food for Border Collies should have fiber and other digestion-friendly nutrients like probiotics and prebiotics for bowel and gut wellness and lower risks of tummy upsets.
- Carbs are also excellent sources of energy for your Border Collie. Go for foods with moderate carb content. The carbs should come from wholesome sources like sweet potatoes. Avoid fillers and artificial ingredients.
- There is a wide variety of food to choose from as Border Collies are less prone to diseases, allergies, and sensitivities.
- Border Collies need strong bones, muscles, and joints, hence a diet with calcium, phosphorus, and glucosamine comes in handy.
What are the best dog foods for Border Collies with different health conditions?
The Best Dog Food for Border Collies with Pancreatitis
- Solid Gold Low/fat Low-Calorie Fit & Fabulous Adult Dry Food: This diet has a minimum fat value of 6.5% which is perfect for your pancreatic Border Collie. This recipe is rich in proteins from pollock for strong muscles and has probiotics for gut and bowel health.
The Best Dog Food for Border Collies with allergies
- Rachel Ray Nutrish Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Limited Ingredient Dry Food: This formula has 6 ingredients to lower the risks of allergies and sensitivities. It contains no fillers, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
What are the best dogs with different ingredients for Border Collies?
The Best Dog Food with Pumpkin for Border Collies
- Earthborn Holistic Venture Rabbit Meal & Pumpkin Limited Ingredient Dry Food: The key ingredients are Rabbit Meal, Pumpkin, Tapioca, Alaska Pollock Meal, and Sunflower Oil. It has vitamin C and E, L-carnitine, beta-carotene, and taurine for healthy overall growth.
The Best Dog Food without Chicken for Border Collies
- Lucy Pet Products Duck, Pumpkin, & Quinoa Dry Food: The primary ingredients are Duck, Duck Meal, Dried Chickpeas, Dried Peas, and Pea Starch. This meal is ideal for dogs that cannot tolerate chicken. High-quality proteins boost muscle health.
What Different Dog Breeds Can Eat Border Collies Food?
The Best Dog Food for French Bulldogs
- American Journey Healthy Weight Active Life Formula Dry Food: Give your Frenchie a healthy weight with American Journey Formula. This recipe is crafted with nutrient-rich ingredients free from fillers like wheat and corn. It also contains L-carnitine for fat metabolism and lean muscles.
The Best Dog Food for Yorkies
- Taste of the Wild Small Breed Appalachian Valley Dry Food: Massage your Yorkie’s wild nature with the Taste of the Wild Small Breed Formula. Venison is the first ingredient for high-quality proteins for your dog’s muscle wellness. Probiotics, prebiotics, and antioxidants are responsible for the gut, bowel, and immune well-being.
What are the Best Dog Foods for Border Collies according to Size?
The Best Dog Food for Small-sized Border Collies
- Cesar Filet Mignon & Spring Vegetables Small Breed Dry Food: This tangy meal is crafted with real as the number one ingredient for protein-dense nutrition for your Collie’s muscles. It has a crunchy texture for dental health and comes in a resealable zipper to keep the food fresh for longer.
The Best Dog Food for Medium-Sized Border Collies
- Victor Select Grain-Free Yukon River Dry Food: This recipe features real fish as the first ingredient for premium proteins for your dog’s ideal weight and strong muscles. It has prebiotics, probiotics, and antioxidants for digestive and immune wellness. L-carnitine lowers the risk of obesity and heart problems, while omega 6 and 3 fatty acids support coat and skin health.
The Best Dog Food for Large Border Collies
- Diamond Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Adult Large Breed Dry Food: Real pasture-raised lamb is the number one ingredient, contributing to a protein content of 22% for thick bones and muscles. It has no corn, wheat, or artificial flavors. Calcium, phosphorus, chondroitin, and glucosamine work together for bone, muscle, and joint health.