Best Dog Food for Dalmatians (Top 10 in 2021)
Your wonderful Dalmatian deserves the very best dog food. Luckily, you’ve stumbled upon a well-researched list of the best dog food for Dalmatians!
Age is most important thing to consider when choosing food for your Dalmatian.
Because Dalmatians are large breed dogs, feeding a puppy Dalmatian food that’s meant for an adult can cause serious health risks. This is especially crucial given how prone the breed is to certain afflictions (such as deafness or hip dysplasia).
To help you choose a dog food that will keep your Dalmatian happy and healthy for years to come, Dog Food Care has gathered its top 10 picks (listed below) for adult Dalmatians. All of them are made by some of the best and most reputable dog food companies on the market. Some have grain, some are grain-free.
If you have a Dalmatian puppy, check out numbers 5, 6, 9 and 10. Number 7 is best for older Dalmatians.
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
Best Dog Food for Dalmatians (Top 10 in 2021) – Overview
Here are the top 5 picks for adult Dalmatians:
And here are 4 top picks for Dalmatian puppies:
Read on for details.
1. Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Formula
Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Formula is a fantastic grain-free recipe that contains boar, venison, salmon, fowl, lamb, legumes, peas, beans, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. Since it is a grain-free recipe, it is very easily digestible, and it provides natural antioxidants, probiotics, minerals, amino acids, omega fatty acids (such as omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids), and a large selection of proteins. It is also free of fillers, grain, corn, and preservatives. It provides visible improvements to coat health and healthy skin in an affordable manner.
Features of the Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Formula:
- Grain-free recipe
- Easily digestible
- Full of energy
- Natural antioxidant
- Amino acids
- Omega fatty acids
- Free of fillers, grain, corn, and preservatives
- Protein Meal
- Sweet Potatoes
- Large selection of proteins
- Visible improvements to coat health
- Affordable price point
- For all life stages
- Seafood recipes have a strong smell
2. Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Recipe
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Recipe is a high protein recipe (contains 33 percent protein) that features deboned turkey, turkey meal, salmon meal, chickpeas, and chicken fat. Since its protein source is turkey, it makes this recipe less allergenic. It does not have any fillers, grains, and artificial colors or ingredients, making this a very recommended recipe for Dalmatians with dairy, grain, or soy allergies. There are also some non-chicken recipes for dogs with chicken allergies. It features essential vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, and probiotics that help support their immune and digestive health.
Nulo Freestyle Turkey & Sweet Potato Recipe:
- Grain-free adult dog food
- 33% crude protein
- Features essential vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals
- Made with probiotics to help support immune and digestive health
- Free from fillers, grains, and artificial colors or ingredients
- Deboned Turkey
- Turkey Meal
- Salmon Meal
- Chicken Fat
- Nice sized kibble for all size breeds
- Great for Dalmatians with dairy, grain, or soy allergies
- Available in a variety of proteins
- Plenty of non-chicken recipes for dogs with chicken allergies
- Can get expensive
- Certain proteins such as salmon have a strong smell
3. Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken
- Burt Ward, Robin the Boy Wonder from the BATMAN TV series, and his wife, Tracy, have developed a unique dog and puppy food and a Special Feeding and Care Program over 25 years rescuing and caring for...
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken is, as the name suggests, a dry dog food where the first ingredient is chicken and it is designed for those on a lower budget. Dog food can get really expensive, so it is good to have a budget-friendly option for those more difficult months. Although it only features 22 percent protein derived from chicken meal, it also includes twelve whole fruits and vegetables such as beets, tomatoes, blueberries, cranberries, spinach, celery, and apples. It comes packed with vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin B 12, and vitamin C for a good immune system) and minerals, with added prebiotics, probiotics, and DHA.
Gentle Giants Canine Nutrition Chicken:
- Chicken-based dry budget dog food
- Packed with vitamins and minerals
- Twelve whole fruits and vegetables including beets, tomatoes, blueberries, cranberries, spinach, celery, and apples
- Vitamin A, Vitamin B 12, and Vitamin C from natural sources that aim to foster good immune health
- Only 22% of protein
- Supports their lean muscle and bones
- Designed for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Adequate for dog owners on a tight budget
- Chicken meal
- Pearled barley
- Brown rice
- Dried plain beet pulp
- With added prebiotics and probiotics
- With added DHA
- Kibble is too big for small dogs
- It may not be a hit for finicky eaters
4. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain...
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula is another grain-free recipe that was developed by leading animal nutritionists and vets. It features real meat (deboned chicken), garden veggies, fruit, chicken meal, brown rice, barley, oatmeal. It features no corn, wheat, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals. A fantastic inclusion is its LifeSource Bits, which are a great blend of nutrients enhanced with antioxidants for a complete and nutritious meal.
Features of the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula:
- Grain-free recipes
- Developed by leading animal nutritionists and veterinarians
- Real meat
- Garden veggies
- LifeSource Bits, a precise blend of nutrients that have been enhanced with a Super 7 package of antioxidant-rich ingredients
- Protein-rich deboned chicken
- Chicken meal
- Brown rice
- No corn, wheat, soy, or chicken (or poultry) by-product meals
- Glucosamine is added
- Pieces too big
- It may have changed their formula
5. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Puppy Wet Food
- PACKED WITH REAL TURKEY AND CHICKEN: This grain free puppy food contains more of the turkey and chicken dogs love and contains DHA an important amino acid found in mother's milk, to support cognitive...
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Puppy Wet Food is the first wet dog food on this list, that features real turkey and chicken, as well as chicken broth and chicken liver. It has a good blend of carbohydrates (potatoes), minerals for the immune system, vitamins (such as B12 for gastrointestinal health). It also has a pleasant taste and smell that is most certainly going to be appealing for your Dalmatian puppy.
Features of the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Turkey & Chicken Grill Puppy Wet Food:
- Contains real turkey and chicken
- B12 for gastrointestinal health
- minerals to improve their immune system
- Complex carbohydrates to help bolster your puppy’s high energy level
- Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken Liver
- Convenient case packaging
- Strong flavors puppies enjoy
- Easily mixes with kibble when transitioning
- Strong smell
- Too dry for some dogs
6. Nutro Ultra Dry Puppy Food
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of NUTRO ULTRA Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food with a Trio of Proteins From Chicken, Lamb and Salmon
Nutro Ultra Dry Puppy Food is another puppy food that features lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nutrient-rich oils, farm-raised chicken, pasture-fed lamb, salmon, chicken meal, whole brown rice, brewers rice (which does not add nutritional value and is essential only a filler), rice bran (similar to the brewers rice), blueberries, pumpkin, and spinach. It contains no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Features of the Nutro Ultra Dry Puppy Food:
- Whole grains
- Nutrient-rich oils
- Farm-raised chicken
- Pasture-fed lamb
- Chicken meal
- Whole brown rice
- Brewers rice
- Rice bran
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives added
- Contains superfoods such as blueberries, pumpkin, and spinach
- Easily digestible
- Not for puppies with chicken allergies
- Holistic Superfood Blend made for growing puppies
- Lean proteins
7. Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato Senior Formula
- One (1) 10 lb Bag - Merrick Grain Free Senior Dry Dog Food Real Chicken & Sweet Potato Recipe
Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato Senior Formula is a grain-free, gluten-free recipe ideal for senior pups. It features deboned chicken, apples, blueberries, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, glucosamine, chondroitin, L-carnitine (which helps your dog maintain a healthy weight). It is made with locally sourced ingredients and features no artificial flavors or preservatives. Also, the kibbles are pretty small, making it easier for senior dogs to eat them.
Features of the Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato Senior Formula:
- Grain-Free senior recipe
- Deboned chicken
- Chicken meal
- Sweet potatoes
- There are no artificial flavors or preservatives
- The L-carnitine helps your dog maintain a healthy weight
- Available in three sizes
- Good calorie control for aging pups
- Made in small batches
- Locally sourced ingredients
- Not for dogs with chicken allergies
- Kibble is small
8. Health Extension Chicken & Brown Rice
- 4-pounds of Dry Dog Food - A special blend of nutrients you won't find anywhere else
Health Extension Chicken & Brown Rice is a fantastic recipe with chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, brown rice, lamb meal, menhaden fish meal, oatmeal. It is ideal if your Dalmatian is low in purines (which are a specific type of protein that include uric acid), yet usually, Dalmatians need a low purine diet, not a high one. We like this company because they show incredible transparency about the source of their ingredients, even including an interactive map on their website for visitors to explore.
Features of the Health Extension Chicken & Brown Rice:
- Health Extension has very impressive transparency about the source of its ingredients, including an interactive map for visitors of their site to explore
- This level of transparency is unprecedented in the pet food industry and is something that many brands could learn from
- Perfect for a Dalmatian as it is low in purines
- Chicken meal
- Chicken fat
- Brown rice
- Lamb meal
- Menhaden fish meal
9. Wellness Core Puppy
- advanced natural nutrition to fuel your puppy's best life: premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods for a complete and balanced dog food, with guaranteed levels of all the...
Wellness Core Puppy is a chicken and turkey recipe that features a significant amount of potatoes instead of legumes and grains. It is ideal for a low-purine diet. It focuses on protein, fat, and carbohydrates to make sure your puppy develops the energy and activity it needs in order to grow.
Features of the Wellness Core Puppy:
- One of the few brands to offer dog and puppy food formulas with a significant portion of potatoes instead of focusing on legumes or grains
- This lack of legumes in Wellness formulas can be a significant advantage to Dalmatians looking to consume a low-purine diet
- A plentiful supply of protein and fat to fuel their growth and activity
- Chicken and turkey
- There is a small portion of peas present
10. Farmina N&D Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Maxi
Farmina N&D Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Maxi is another puppy recipe that features chicken, herring, omega fatty acid, potatoes, low-purine ingredients, fruit and vegetables such as pomegranate, apples, carrots, spinach as well as vitamins and minerals. They are high-quality ingredients that improve cognitive function. They are even fit for human consumption, which we thought was a funny thing for the company to add. The only issue, however, is that it may not be completely affordable for dog owners on a budget.
Features of the Farmina N&D Chicken & Pomegranate Puppy Maxi:
- It may not be affordable
- Produces two puppy formulas
- Two core meat and fish ingredients
- Omega Fatty Acid
- Improved cognitive function
- Low-purine ingredient
- Fruit and vegetable ingredients
- Higher-quality ingredients
- Fit for human consumption (human-grade)
Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Formula is the winner on this list for its remarkable variety of ingredients, including boar, venison, salmon, fowl, lamb, legumes, peas, beans, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. It is also a grain-free recipe which makes it easily digestible and features a wide array of natural antioxidants, probiotics, minerals, amino acids, omega fatty acids, and a large selection of proteins. As an added bonus, it is also free of fillers, grain, corn, and preservatives. It is definitively the best option for your Dalmatian.
Bonus tip: Check out this adorable video of the cutest and funniest Dalmatians!
The Majestic Dalmatian
Everyone knows Dalmatians. Their black and white spotted coats are immediately recognizable and they are loved around the globe. They are smart, energetic, and loving dogs that are great pets for more active owners. You might know of the history of Dalmatians already. They used to be known as carriage dogs since they were very well-behaved around horses, and they used to guide these horses through smoke when fires were put out using horse-drawn carriages.
They are strong and fast, medium-sized dogs that need long hikes and runs in order to be happy. Because Dalmatians are such active dogs, it is important to give them the proper care and the proper food so they can effectively burn through all the energy they need to in order to be happy and healthy. BHT, BHA, and sodium nitrate are artificial preservatives that are worth watching out for since they can be harmful to your dog.
Dalmatians have sensitive stomachs, more so than other dog breeds, so it is especially important to take care of their diet and make sure you know what you can and what you cannot feed them. You should also make sure your dog is not eating too fast. You should also watch out for fillers. Artificial fillers include rice bran, wheat mill, corn bran, and hulls. These provide no nutritional value and usually take the place of actual ingredients that could be providing your best friend with the fiber they need.
There are also some common allergens that might be going into your dog food that you want to watch out for, the most common food allergies being lamb, chicken, beef, soy, corn, wheat, dairy, and eggs. Talk to your vet if you think your dog might be allergic to any of these. Purine content may also cause problems in some Dalmatians, so watch out for that also.
Also do not forget that although dairy can be harmful to your adult dog, foods with calcium are important for your puppy to develop strong bones and teeth. If you think that you may have fed your Dalmatians something they are allergic to, then watch out to see if they develop any of these symptoms: itchy, dry skin, obsessive licking at skin and paws, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you see any of these symptoms start to develop, consider taking your pup to the vet so they can check for any food intolerances.
Dalmatian Health Risks
There are also certain illnesses to watch out for when you own a Dalmatian. They are a pure breed, so they are more prone to health issues than other types of dogs. You should be aware that these issues are a possibility when you get a Dalmatian, and also once you have one, so you can properly watch out for them.
Deafness is one of the most common issues for Dalmatians. Around 30 percent of all Dalmatians suffer some kind of hearing loss, whether it be full deafness (one in twelve) or partial deafness (one in five). In order to prevent this, you should be feeding your Dalmatian a diet low in grain and sugar, since if your dog has a yeast overgrowth from these ingredients it can build up in their ears.
Your Dalmatian is also more prone to urinary stones and kidney stones than other dogs, especially if your dog is male. This is why you should monitor your dog’s purine intake since it increases the uric acid in their blood that causes urinary stones. Purines are often found in the liver, so you should try to avoid dog foods that include the liver. Talk to your vet so you are better informed on how to take care of your pup.
Dalmatians are also more prone to hip dysplasia since they are almost a large breed. This is a genetic condition, however, it can be aggravated by things such as obesity. It is also more common in larger Dalmatians. You can check out food with glucosamine and chondroitin since it helps support joint and hip health.
Finally, the last common issue that affects Dalmatians is hyperactivity. Everyone knows Dalmatians are an energetic and active breed that needs a lot of exercise. However, if you fail to provide that to your puppy, they are known to engage in destructive behaviors such as chewing up your house and misplacing all your things. So you must make sure that before you decide to become a dog owner for a Dalmatian, that you are prepared to take on the challenge of tiring them out every day.
So if you are ready to explore how best to build your dog’s diet, here are the top ten best dog foods for Dalmatians. There are direct Amazon links to each product as well, so you can get started getting your dog the best quality food today and secure their well-being!