4health Dog Food 2022 Review, Rating & Recalls
With the dizzying array of dog food brands out there, what to choose? It is important to pay attention to the nutritional needs of your good buddy first before selecting the one for you. Buying the wrong option for your dog may mean depriving them of the best vitamins and minerals they need for energy and growth.
That’s why in this article, we will lay out 4health’s dog food brand. We will include some of their top products, discuss their company and recalls they may have had, as well as rate and review one of their products.
We’ll also cover…
- Is 4health Dog Food made in the United States?
- Has 4health dog food been recalled?
- Which flavors and recipes have the healthiest nutrients?
Which 4health Dog Food Sub-Brand Is Right for You?
Here are 4health Dog Food’s 3 most popular sub-brands. Below, we’ll share what makes each one different. So you can choose the food that best suits your dog.
|4health Small Bites Formula, Adult Dog Dry Food|
Best for Puppies
|4health Grain Free Puppy Formula Dog Dry Food|
|4health Salmon & Potato Formula Adult Dog Food|
4health Dog Food Reviews – The Top 3
1. 4health Small Bites Formula for Adult Dogs
4health’s Small Bites Formula consists of the best ingredients to keep your dog lean and healthy.
Best for Puppies
2. 4health Grain-Free Puppy Formula
This grain-free puppy food is ideal for active, growing puppies with corn, wheat, or soy sensitivities.
3. 4health Salmon & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs
This salmon and potato recipe is great for adult dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.
4. 4health Special Care Sensitive Skin Formula for Adult Dogs
The sensitive skin formula is grain-free and contains omega fatty acids to support coat and skin health. Great for active dogs.
Who Makes 4health Dog Food?
4health dog food is a private label owned by Tractor Supply Company, which is located in Brentwood, Tennessee. Tractor Supply Company is a family-owned pet food company and is America’s largest operator of rural lifestyle stores. Founded originally in 1938 as a mail-order catalog, they currently have 1,500 retailers in 49 states.
The product is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc, a company owned by Schell and Kampeter located in Meta, Missouri. 4health products are manufactured in facilities located in Meta, Missouri, Lathrop, California, and Gaston, South Carolina. Diamond Pet Foods, Inc. has been in the business since 1970. The manufacturing facilities, one of the largest in the country, also produce many other brands including Taste of the Wild, Solid Gold, Premium Edge, and Artemis.
Has 4health Dog Food Been Recalled?
Diamond Pet Foods manufactures the 4health dog food, along with many other pet foods in the same facilities. There is no specific information provided about exactly where or how the 4health products are made. There have been many recalls of products manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods over the years, a few of them concerning the 4health brand. Here are the recalls that have occurred for the 4health brand since it has been on the market:
- May 2012: The FDA issued a recall for 4health’s dry pet food. The reason was for possible salmonella contamination and included any of these products manufactured in the Gaston, South Caroline facility.
- March 2013: The FDA issued a recall for 4health’s All Life Stages Cat Formula dry food. The reason was for lower thiamine levels than allowed in cat food.
Is 4health a Good Dog Food?
We give 4health dog food 4 stars, the third-highest rating.
Individual Recipe Ratings
4health dog food product line consists of wet, dry, grain-inclusive, and grain-free varieties. There are also options for specific life stages and special needs. For easy reference, we are including the options currently available on Amazon along with their Amazon rating. This enables you to easily check prices and package sizes.
- 4health Salmon & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs (4 stars)
- 4health Special Care Sensitive Skin Formula for Adult Dogs (3.5 stars)
- 4health Grain-Free Puppy Formula (4 stars)
- 4health Small Bites Formula for Adult Dogs (4 stars)
- 4health Grain-Free Adult Wet Dog Food (4 stars)
- 4health Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food (4.5 stars)
- 4health Grain-Free Small Breed Formula for Adult Dogs (4 stars)
Recipe Ingredient Analysis
We have selected the 4health Salmon & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs to represent the 4health brand. This is a grain-inclusive dry dog food formula. We will now analyze and discuss the first ten ingredients as well as other important ingredients in this formula.
- The first ingredient listed is salmon, a great source of omega-3 fatty acids. The omega-3s are said to support a healthy immune system, may help with inflammation, and will keep your dog’s coat shiny and skin healthy. An excellent source of protein, especially if your dog is allergic to other common proteins such as chicken.
- The second ingredient is ocean fish meal. Typically ocean fish meal consists of small marine fish that have been deemed unsuitable for human consumption due to their high bone content and are very oily. A small portion of ocean fish meal is made from bones and offal left over after fish processing for human consumption. Typically these fish are pollard, pilchard, menhaden fish, mackerel, and more. Water is removed from these fish parts, then concentrated. Crude protein in ocean fish meal can be up to 60 to 70%. The omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in this ingredient are great for your dog’s skin and coat. Additionally, they help prevent blood clots among many other health benefits.
- The third ingredient is potatoes. Potatoes are a great source of energy that is easily digestible. Every dog is different, however, and some may have an issue digesting potatoes. It is best to start with a small number of potatoes to make sure it agrees with your dog. Some advantages of potatoes as an ingredient are that they are gluten-free carbs and contain vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and iron.
- Peas are the fourth ingredient. These lentils may be great for fiber and carbs, but they may affect your dog’s kidneys. Purines, a chemical compound found in peas, produce uric acid. This acid is filtered through the kidneys and can lead to kidney stones if too much is consumed. Therefore, peas are ok to feed your dog, but in small doses. Dogs don’t need fruits and vegetables like us humans do.
- The fifth ingredient is cracked pearled barley. Barley is low in cholesterol and high in fiber. It is a carbohydrate, but should not be a big staple in your dog’s diet. As long as your dog is largely fed a meat-based protein in the meal, barley is ok on occasion. Since salmon is the first ingredient on this list, eating pearled barley isn’t a problem.
- The sixth ingredient is pea flour, which is produced when roasted peas are milled into a powder. Pea flour can be a good ingredient in dog food since it is high in calcium, iron, and fiber. It is also high in protein and is often used as a protein supplement.
- The seventh ingredient is egg product. It is unspecified if this shell-free egg product is wet or dry. Keep in mind that the quality of these eggs can vary; some lower quality egg products can come from eggs that failed to hatch. Regardless, for dogs, eggs are easily digestible and can cure an upset stomach. They are also a good source of proteins, essential amino acids, and fatty acids.
- Eighth is canola oil. As you may be aware, canola oil is not the healthiest oil for humans. This is also true when it comes to man’s best friends. Though FDA claimed that canola oil was “heart-healthy” in 2006, research indicates otherwise. Studies have shown that canola oil is not healthy for dogs’ cardiovascular systems. It has been associated with fibrotic lesions in the heart. It can also cause vitamin E deficiency, may shorten life-span, and can retard growth. This ingredient was probably added due to its affordability over other more healthy oils for dogs, such as coconut, olive, or fish oils.
- The ninth ingredient is tomato pomace, made from a ripe tomato’s skin, pulp, and seeds. Tomato pomace contains amino acids that are great for your dog. Additionally, it contains Lycopene, an antioxidant that is great for vision and may also help prevent cancer.
- The tenth ingredient is natural flavor. What exactly is “natural flavor”? It is an additive such as an essential oil, distillate, or extract that contains the flavor of a natural food product. Natural flavors are added solely to enhance the flavor of the product. They are not necessarily healthier than artificial flavors and have no nutritional value. In human food, natural flavors tend to make food taste better and thus more addictive, resulting in unhealthy cravings and diets. We can’t say for sure if this is the same case for dogs.
Flaxseed is next on the list. It is an anti-inflammatory that can ease arthritis, improve kidney function, and lower blood pressure. Another great source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Other helpful ingredients further down the list include taurine, chicory root, glucosamine, and chondroitin. Taurine is helpful for eyes, reproduction, bile production, and heart health. Dried chicory root contains inulin, which is a natural source of fiber. Inulin is also prebiotic which enables healthy bacteria to grow in the digestive tract. Glucosamine hydrochloride and chondroitin sulfate are important for dogs’ joint health, especially large breeds. Choline chloride is a vitamin that helps treat and prevent “doggy dementia,” contributing to your pet’s long-term wellness.
Tons of vitamins and minerals are included in the form of kelp, carrots, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, cranberries. Iron, zinc, copper, and manganese proteinates are other contributing minerals on the ingredients list.
Several probiotics included in the list promote good bacteria to form in the gut, enabling healthy digestion. Probiotics may also improve mood, fur, and skin, and help reduce bad breath.
4health Salmon & Potato Formula Adult Dog Food contributes to a grain-inclusive and well-balanced diet for your dog. We like that real salmon is the #1 ingredient on the list, which is a great protein for dogs. Ocean fish meal and egg products are also quality ingredients that contribute to the protein content.
There are no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives added to this formula. We like that there is no corn, wheat, or soy in this; most of the carbohydrates come in the potato ingredient content. This makes it a good choice for those doggos with allergies and sensitive stomachs. If your dog has previously had an upset stomach and vomiting, this can help them keep their food down.
There are tons of fruits and vegetables providing nutrient-rich vitamins and minerals for your dog’s health. Some pet owners may prefer more animal protein sources rather than plant-based, however.
If your dog has itchy, flaky skin, this formula can help improve its condition. The omega fatty acids present in the kibble will contribute to healthy skin and a shiny coat. They will stop scratching and the fur will grow thick and healthy when eating this food regularly.
Here are the nutrients listed on this product’s guaranteed analysis:
Crude Protein 25.0% minimum
- Crude Fat 14.0% minimum
- Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
- Moisture 10.0% maximum
- Zinc 150 mg/kg minimum
- Selenium 0.35 mg/kg minimum
- Vitamin E 150 IU/kg minimum
- Taurine* 0.12% minimum
- Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% minimum
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% minimum
- Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg minimum
- Chondroitin Sulfate* 100 mg/kg minimum
AAFCO requires at least 18% crude protein, of which this product passes the threshold. Typical crude fat is between 8 and 18%, making this product above average at 14%. Healthy amounts of fiber are between 1.4 to 3.5%, of which this product’s fiber is above average.
Our Rating of 4health Dog Food
Most of the recipes in the 4health dog food brand have real meat as the first ingredient. There are also lots of options to choose from depending on your dog’s needs.
There are a few lower-quality products they produce, but overall we feel this brand is overall high-quality compared to what you’d get from your local store. Most of the options’ protein content is higher than the average, contain no fillers, and no by-product ingredients. Although there may be high protein, some recipes use a lot of plant protein rather than animal protein. If there is a high amount of legumes, this typically means there are fewer animal proteins, which is not ideal.
Overall, we rate 4health dog food at 4 stars.
What Do Others Say About 4Health
As of right now, 4health Salmon & Potato Formula for Adult Dogs has 4 stars on Amazon. It seems that most of the negative reviews say that the price is too expensive for this American brand. However, there does not seem to be any qualms with the quality of the food. Dogs seem to be quite happy with it. One happy customer says:
“I’ve tried so many different dog dry foods for my Scottie and Westie and finally found one they love. The 4health Salmon & Potato Adult Dog Food works for them. They love it and after reading the ingredients…I think it is a wise choice to feed them. It’s easy to give this Tractor Supply 4health dog food 5 Stars.”
Understanding what your dog can and can’t eat is the first step to finding the right dog food. Can you feed your dog things like garlic or cheese? Does your dog have any allergies? Do they get an upset stomach from certain foods? Carefully eliminate what doesn’t work till you find the right options. Luckily, 4health has tons of varieties for you to choose from.
Note: Want to treat your dog to the very best? Get 50% off your first box of human-grade dog food when you try Ollie. Paws down, Ollie is the easiest way to feed your pup fresh, nutritious food. Learn how it works here!